What's new

Which router to use as Primary?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StoneDivine

New Around Here
I have the Asus Zenwifi CT8 setup as primary router and another node connected in AIMesh.
Have purchased the Asus RT-AX86U yesterday.
Should I add this to the existing node?
Or is it better to set the Asus RT-AX86U as primary router and join the other 2 units of Zenwifi as secondary nodes?

RT-AX-86U as primary, optimally placed, then only add additional AiMesh nodes as required.

How many SqFt are you covering? Over how many floors?

About 1200 sq ft over a single floor. Btw, I still have the old RT-AC88u running Merlin firmware. However, it is decommissioned. Is it better to join this RT-AC88u as secondary node instead? Then sell the 2 x Asus zenwifi CT8.
Thanks

I have the Asus Zenwifi CT8 setup as primary router and another node connected in AIMesh.
Have purchased the Asus RT-AX86U yesterday.
Should I add this to the existing node?
Or is it better to set the Asus RT-AX86U as primary router and join the other 2 units of Zenwifi as secondary nodes?
The AX86U is one of best Asus routers you can buy. You should connect the CT8's to it as nodes.

1200 SqFt?

Only use a single router for the best overall results.

The RT-AC88U is not a model I would recommend using today if your budget allows for an RT-AX86U.

Get rid of the Zen's when you have the new router set up and stable.

Thank you guys for your input and comments.
I will setup the RT-AX86U as primary then. The Zenwifi was purchased to improve the coverage but the speed was sub optimal. Hence, I bought the RT-AX86U for the better throughput, coverage and future proof. : -)

Thank you guys for your input and comments.
I will setup the RT-AX86U as primary then. The Zenwifi was purchased to improve the coverage but the speed was sub optimal. Hence, I bought the RT-AX86U for the better throughput, coverage and future proof. : -)
Just out of curiosity, what speeds were you seeing on the Zenwifi?

I took my AC88 out of my AiMesh as an upstairs node and boxed it up as a spare. Performance is better with the solo AX92 downstairs. 1400 sq. ft. main floor and 900 sq. ft. upstairs. 20-25 devices.