What's new

Which to choose? CS407 or CS407e

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tomovich

New Around Here
Hello

I'm looking for a nas device which has place for 4 hard drives. After some research I limited my list to two choices, the CS407 and the CS407e (both from Synology). The intention is that they replace my external firewire hard drive.

Also, they will be connected to an iMac, so AFP is necessary (both have this I think). The nas must be fast and quiet and will mainly serve as storage device. I will use raid5.

Can someone help me choose between these two? The main difference is nfs I think, and the price (€140).

Thanks!

Tomovich

Why RAID 5?

RAID 1 is much more sensible for most applications. For instance, if necessary a drive can be removed and read on a UNIX/Linux system. Try to do that with RAID 5 if you have a hardware failure.

Consider the Synology DS-207+ or 209+ if you are simply trying to replace an external drive. I think you'll be plenty happy. Then take the $$ saved and spend it on off site backup just in case of fire/theft, etc...

I would go for raid5 because if one drive failures you can just replace it with another without any data loss.

I will use the nas to store all my data on and I will put my music on it as well.

Last edited:
Tomovich

RAID 1 will accomplish the same thing in a single drive failure.

In RAID 1 if you have a single drive failure, all you do is replace the bad drive and resync the data.

I still recommend you always backup NAS data regardless of which RAID version you choose. Fires, theft, power surges, hardware failures, viruses, can all cause data loss on a NAS. Backup routinely and take it off site or at the very least lock in a fireproof safe.

I would go for raid5 because if one drive failures you can just replace it with another without any data loss.

I will use the nas to store all my data on and I will put my music on it as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!