What's new

Which two AiMesh systems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rich N

New Around Here
A) use 2 rt-ax86s routers or B) 1 rt-ax86s & pair of rt-ax92u The price difference is $50 not a big deal.

My house is 3000sqf, have about 40 or so devices. Many are smart plugs/bulbs/thermostat/etc on 2.4ghz. Tablets, phones, laptop, rokus use 5ghz and are wifi 4 & 5ghz. I new laptop with wifi 6. All Routers/nodes would be hard wired for backhaul.
My current network uses an 8 year old zxyel router and 1 amped ac2600 A.P. (centrally located) which is about 4 years. The AP does a nice job of covering my house. My current internet plan is 600mgbs. I probably will never get over 1 gig service (old retired guy). I use 4 network switches. About 10 devices are ethernet. Streaming movies, music, usual internet surfing and casual gaming needs.

I would like to get wifi speeds of 300 to 450 in my house. Solid connections with minimal dropouts. All routers/nodes will be in open spaces. I believe the rt-ax-86s and rt-ax92u can use the 160 band. Would like upgrade to wifi6 for future needs. I would appreciate any input. I have just enough tech savvy to get into trouble. But I am learning.

Much appreciated
Rich (old retired guy)

Are you using Tasmota firmware on your smart plugs? If so, Asus might not be a good choice and you may need to use static IP addresses on your Tasmota devices (that's what I am doing).

I wouldn't go for AiMesh at all, but 2x AX86S is the better AiMesh option. AiMesh works best in wired backhaul configuration and identical hardware/firmware routers. AX92U is an older router with no firmware updates from Jan 2022. It will be perhaps discontinued soon. It comes often on sale or liquidation price.

A) use 2 rt-ax86s routers or B) 1 rt-ax86s & pair of rt-ax92u The price difference is $50 not a big deal.

My house is 3000sqf, have about 40 or so devices. Many are smart plugs/bulbs/thermostat/etc on 2.4ghz. Tablets, phones, laptop, rokus use 5ghz and are wifi 4 & 5ghz. I new laptop with wifi 6. All Routers/nodes would be hard wired for backhaul.
My current network uses an 8 year old zxyel router and 1 amped ac2600 A.P. (centrally located) which is about 4 years. The AP does a nice job of covering my house. My current internet plan is 600mgbs. I probably will never get over 1 gig service (old retired guy). I use 4 network switches. About 10 devices are ethernet. Streaming movies, music, usual internet surfing and casual gaming needs.

I would like to get wifi speeds of 300 to 450 in my house. Solid connections with minimal dropouts. All routers/nodes will be in open spaces. I believe the rt-ax-86s and rt-ax92u can use the 160 band. Would like upgrade to wifi6 for future needs. I would appreciate any input. I have just enough tech savvy to get into trouble. But I am learning.

Much appreciated
Rich (old retired guy)

Is your 3000sf all on one level? You could start with one AX86 and see how it works... your current one AP covers your space.

If 2 nodes, they would be spread apart (~40-80ft), so not central like your current wired AP.... would you still be able to wire the backhaul (which would be ideal for 2 AX86U/S)? Two nodes spread apart should also give you good coverage outdoors.

You could also do AX86U+AX86S, if there's a rationale for the AX86U specs as router.

OE

House is 2 story plus basement. The rtax86u is $85 more and I don't think I would ever need the 2.5 port. Although it has a faster processor. Thought the ax86s would be better deal. The site Dong knows tech really likes the ax92u.

The site Dong knows tech

I call this site Don'tKnow tech. Fits better the site content.

Although it has a faster processor.

AX86U has 2x more cores of the same type/speed and 2x RAM. Most processes use single core. AX86U is better for folks with many VPN clients and user scripts. For common tasks S/U models are identical.

Last edited:
House is 2 story plus basement. The rtax86u is $85 more and I don't think I would ever need the 2.5 port. Although it has a faster processor. Thought the ax86s would be better deal. The site Dong knows tech really likes the ax92u.

One AX86* centrally located where your current AP is may be all you need for 3x1000sf plus outside. I would consider the cost and purchase to also be part and parcel of the necessary learning experience required to upgrade and maintain your own network to the newer and intermediate WiFi6 standard. My install notes can help to commission the new network.

Dong's reviews are overly simplistic and inexact to the point of misinformation.

OE

Last edited:
I tried one (rtax86s) and it got about 80% of my house. Picked up a second one (rtax86s) and everything is great. Coverage is great and all my devices connect. Very satisfied. The rtax86s were $169 apiece.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!