What's new

Which WiFi PCI adapter to get next?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which one do you think I should go for?

• ASUS PCE AX58

• Fenvi AX200

• Other (please write below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moseph

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

So I am having trouble with my ASUS PCE-AC88 wifi card (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-pce-ac88-wifi-issues.64049/) Which I haven't been able to solve yet.
Unfortunately for me, this is going to be a very expensive issue as this adapter costs £90!

I am now thinking about replacing it for an alternative, my home WiFi router is the standard Virgin Media router Hub 3.0 VMDG505 / TG2492LG-VM. I know this isn't WiFi 6 compatible but I thought I would future proof my PC.

Wired connection via LAN cable is not an option as it will require a lot of visible wiring. I also have bad experience with powerline adapters and find them very unreliable.

The thing I like about the ASUS PCE-AC88 is that it has a very strong and consistent 5Ghz WiFi signal when it works. I think this is due to the extra extension 4 x antenna base that it comes with which negates the need to invest in a WiFi home mesh system.

So far I have narrowed down my search for an alternative to these two:

1. The ASUS PCE AX58:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VWXKHTY/?tag=smallncom-21

Pros:
Reputable brand (although I have been let down)
Has an extension antenna base

Cons:
Expensive
Only has 2 antennas as opposed to 4

2. Fenvi AX200 WiFi card
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WGWY4WG/?tag=smallncom-21

Pros:
Cheaper
On paper, same spec as ASUS
Has an extension antenna base

Cons:
Could be less reliable as it is an unknown brand?
Only has 2 antennas as opposed to 4

As I am not that experienced I was hoping for some advice and thoughts on my decision making process from experts?
I have read that many of these AX200 wifi cards are exactly the same but rebranded, but of course build quality can differ hugely.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!:):)

They’re both the same card ... go with which ever is cheaper. The Asus might have slightly better range/performance due to the antenna design but it’s up to you to decide if it’s worth 2x cost.

Last edited:
Thank you for that,
My other option is to try and find a decent one which is Wifi 5 AC and has 3 or 4 antennas

I really don't like adaptors. Always hit or miss with driver issues, antennae placement, and such. :)

I recommend buying the minimum router capable of the connection you want and turning it into a Media Bridge instead. Nothing else works better in the long term. :)

When the RT-AC56U was available, that is what I would recommend. If you need to connect to an AX router (at AX speeds), the RMerlin supported RT-AX58U would be on my radar (if not the RT-AC86U or even the RT-AC68U (if you have one around) or, the RT-AC66U_B1 too).

An adaptor is a throwaway purchase ime, a full router can be useful far, far longer. :)

HTH. :)

I really don't like adaptors. Always hit or miss with driver issues, antennae placement, and such. :)

I recommend buying the minimum router capable of the connection you want and turning it into a Media Bridge instead. Nothing else works better in the long term. :)

When the RT-AC56U was available, that is what I would recommend. If you need to connect to an AX router (at AX speeds), the RMerlin supported RT-AX58U would be on my radar (if not the RT-AC86U or even the RT-AC68U (if you have one around) or, the RT-AC66U_B1 too).

An adaptor is a throwaway purchase ime, a full router can be useful far, far longer. :)

Thanks for the advice, I will need to do some googling into what a media bridge is!

Do you mean using my original router as a "modem only mode" and then attaching one of the routers you mentioned above?

I would still need a wifi adapter on my PC to pick up the WiFi signal though ?

Media Bridge is Asus term for Wireless Ethernet Bridge. Think one wireless card for 4 wired devices.

I am really sorry I don't understand how a "media bridge / wireless ethernet bridge" would negate the need for a wifi adapter in my PC.

My PC is upstairs and my router would be downstairs. Is this connecting a wifi adapter by LAN cable to my PC? Using something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PMR673M/?tag=smallncom-21

But then the bridge would essentially be doing the same thing as the wifi adapter in my PC? It depends how good the bridge is at picking up the signal so then I would need to find a bridge with 2 or 3 aerials to make it work well otherwise it would just be bridging a weak signal right?

And The reason one of those RT routers are suggested is because they are able to transmit the required signal to make it work (which my old router isn't capable of doing)?

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Is this connecting a wifi adapter by LAN cable to my PC?

Yes. LAN cable from PC to Media Bridge router. I don't think it's a good option for you. People upgrading routers often reuse old ones as Media Bridges. You better get a PCIe adapter, IMHO.

Oh I see what he means, - correct me if i am wrong
So getting one of those ASUS RT routers and setting it up upstairs next to my PC, using it's wifi to pick up the WiFi signal from my original router downstairs
Then connecting my PC to the ASUS RT by LAN cable

essentially it is like a mesh wifi system in that case

Yes. LAN cable from PC to Media Bridge router. I don't think it's a good option for you. People upgrading routers often reuse old ones as Media Bridges. You better get a PCIe adapter, IMHO.

Yes, maybe for an amatuer like me I would have thought my options are:

1) Buy an alternative card from the options above and hope the signal is a good 5ghz signal when using the antenna base extension.

2) Use stock router as modem only mode and upgrade to a better wireless router.

3) Mesh WiFi with existing stock router

Thanks for that, really informative on how mesh networks work.

I thought productslike bt wholehome and the TP link one can work with any router, you just connect it to your existing router, switch off the wifi from your existing router and start using the new access point name

Thanks for the advice, I will need to do some googling into what a media bridge is!

Do you mean using my original router as a "modem only mode" and then attaching one of the routers you mentioned above?

I would still need a wifi adapter on my PC to pick up the WiFi signal though ?

Many routers can be used in a variety of ways. From 'Wireless Router', 'AP', 'Repeater', and 'Media Bridge' modes.

Have a look at the following link for a demo of the GUI of the RT-AX88U for an example (and don't worry about the additional AiMesh 'descriptions' too). :)

http://demoui.asus.com/Advanced_OperationMode_Content.asp

You would have or buy a router that offers a Media Bridge mode (which means it connects to WiFi and then distributes it via the LAN Ports, only). Set this up near your computer upstairs, connect it wirelessly to your main router, and then connect the computer and the Media Bridge router via an Ethernet cable to any of it's LAN ports. You can use all the LAN ports available and even connect a switch if you need to connect more devices (wired). :)

As long as the computers or other devices you connect have a LAN port available, then you will not need an inferior WiFi adaptor for them. :)

He wants to improve the reliability and stability of the connection to his PC. :)

Agreed, but the ISP speed isn't in this picture (so far). :)

A secondary router used as a Media Bridge is still the best option for the reliability and stability issue. :)

A secondary router used as a Media Bridge is still the best option for the reliability and stability issue.

Not sure about it. Every second Media Bridge thread on SNB is Media Bridge issues related. :rolleyes:

But, but, I'm feeling lucky for him... Punk! :D

(Sorry, bad Clint Eastwood joke). :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!