What's new

Why AC56U seems to outperform AC86U with high attenuation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paapaa

Occasional Visitor
What is the reason AC56U shows better performance with high attenuation compared to AC86U? For example Downlink 2.4GHz: on AC56U the throughput remains at 90 Mb/s below 39 dB attenuation. On AC86U the throughput decreases below 90 Mb/s already at 27 dB attenuation.

Am I missing something (most likely)? Does AC56U really have better performance with high attenuation even without visible antennas? Or are the results not comparable because of different test revisions?

Here are the relevant reviews:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...reless-ac1200-gigabit-router-reviewed?start=2

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...-band-ac2900-wireless-router-reviewed?start=2

Hmm, it looks like the results from different test revisions are not comparable at all. The same device can get totally different results. So, I guess AC86U should outperform AC56U in the same test.

You are correct. You can validly compare products tested only with the same method.

so these test are worth less than nothing if you cant compare them.

They have defined axes Mb/s and dB and 20MHz bandwith in 2.4GHz band, they must have reliable results if done correct!
At least more antennas with multi stream could only be higher, not much less performing ...

I did a test between the 86U and the 68U and saw much better throughput with the 86U with a low signal strength. I would imagine that the 68U would perform better than the 56U with it's external antennas.

Similar findings here... a 2xRT-AC68U AiMesh with a difficult 77' wireless backhaul eventually dropped the remote node after about 30 days... and the Wireless Log numbers for the backhaul MACs were marginal i.e. not good enough.

I then tried 2xRT-AC86Us and they are performing significantly better... the Wireless Log numbers vary in time but are stronger and good enough:

2.4 GHz, -63 dBm, 200+ Mbps
5.0 GHz, -75 dBm, 400+ Mbps

I tried my 2xRT-AC86Us at another site... similar distance but less obstacles... and the 5.0 GHz backhaul rates hovered around 1000 Mbps.

I think the 86U makes a good dual-band node. Microcenter has been bundling two at a good discount... having identical nodes has some advantages.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!