What's new

Why ASUS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1.) Community support: There's Rmerlin putting out excellent firmware, another person putting out a *fork* of Merlin's excellent firmware for those who prefer it, a guide on how to increase power output and unlock channels on the AC68, a guide on how to turn T-Mobile's cheap router into a stock AC68, and you'll notice Asus gets its own sub-forum here when no other brand does. It's self-perpetuating at this point - because Asus has a great community, more technical people get into it, which makes it a better community.

2.) General association with Asus & quality. Their laptops always rank near the top for lowest failure rate, & their motherboards and PC components are generally highly recommended as well.

I don't care about brand that much, but when I was down to 3 routers (themselves found based on features and reviews) - I went with the Asus one because of the above two factors as tiebreakers.

For me they have way better customer support than netgear. I didn't even consider d-link.
I've had bad experiences with netgear customer support and nothing but good for asus.
Also netgear tends to drop support for units once they release a new unit.
I had a netgear r6300v1 that hasn't had a firmware update in like 2 years. Look how long asus releases firmware for their units.
While Asus does release regular firmware updates, they don't listen to their customers feedback.
I have contacted Asus back in June about displaying a basic PPP Uptime for the PPPoE connection in the UI and all I got was a formal answer that my request was suggested to the developers and it is under consideration.
I also contacted them with other suggestions and got the same answer. They could at least inform me it's not going to be implemented and not get my hopes up and keep waiting to show up in a new release.

Someone else on the forum also posted about this saying it's coming soon to asus firmware after a chat with Asus support, but this feature is still missing.

Asus are adding all of the following to base firmware, some already done in beta versions.
PPP uptime will be displayed in gui.

And it's not being implemented in Merlin firmware either, the opened issue was closed. https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/issues/182

If only there was a way to check the PPP session uptime over ssh/telnet at least.
I don't think I'm asking too much.

Unless you know someone at Asus personally, your requests won't probably be taken into account.
Good thing my AC56U is running fine, I wouldn't want to imagine how customer service would be if I had any issues.

I forgot to mention, the promise of Adaptive QoS for my router was also a small factor in my choice.
This would be great.

Last edited:
Router Looks Sexy

High Class UI Design :p

VPN

Asus FW's

Merlin's FW

High Class Mobile App IOS/Android

Long Term Support For All Products

This Forum