What's new

Why can’t I use the CommScope CSMF1APDU9VPI?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DominikHoffmann

Occasional Visitor
My ISP installed a CommScope CSMF1APDU9VPI, in order to get signal to all of the rooms. Now we are cutting the cord, and I would like to repurpose the individual coax legs for my Gigabit Ethernet LAN. I have purchased a set of MoCA units (ScreenBeam ECB7250).

When I use them in a direct link they work beautifully. When I feed the coax out of the one by my router into the IN port of the CommScope amp and hook up the other at one of the amp’s outputs, I can’t pull an IP from the router. The communication has broken down.

A ScreenBeam tech support agent claimed that my problem arises from the fact that the CSMF1APDU9VPI is not compatible with MoCA, even though it calls itself a MoCA VoIP Amp.

What is the truth of the matter?

Attachments

• CommScope CSMAPDU9VP.jpg
    CommScope CSMAPDU9VP.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 59
When I feed the coax out of the one by my router into the IN port of the CommScope amp
It’s a “designed for MoCA” amp with a built-in “PoE” MoCA filter, so no MoCA traffic is allowed between the input port and the outputs; it’s designed to allow MoCA traffic to flow between all output ports, including between the passive output and the amplified outputs.

https://www.commscope.com/product-t...ers-components/rf-amplifiers/itemcsmapdu9vpi/

From the specs tab; the values all seem similar, but note the qualification for “minimum” and “maximum”; input/output path has MIN loss of 35-40 dB; output/output paths have MAX loss of 35 dB.

2E992518-67C9-4141-A3E8-3CDDFC6B2DF2.jpeg

You could probably get the adapters to link if they were directly connected to the input and output via a short coax, but in their regular locations the additional attenuation of the coax, connections, and other splitters likely puts the path loss above the 57 dB loss limit.

Now that you know, what doesn’t work, do you know, what I should replace that with?
As stated above, the amplifier would still work fine (as regards MoCA flow) if you weren’t trying to feed MoCA signals via its input port. Just connect that line via an output port and try again.

And see my just-prior reply for what you *should* be doing, to optimize the setup. (Consider getting things working via the amp a short-term workaround only.)

Last edited:
As stated above, the amplifier would still work fine (as regards MoCA flow) if you weren’t trying to feed MoCA signals via its input port. Just connect that line via an output port and try again.

And see my just-prior reply for what you *should* be doing, to optimize the setup. (Consider getting things working via the amp a short-term workaround only.)
Following your suggestion I plugged the coax feed from the MoCA adapter plugged into the router via Ethernet into Out 1, rather than In. That made it work!

Thanks for your help, Mr. Kaufman!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!