What's new

Why does DHCP lease default to 1 day (86400 sec)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neil0311

I changed the DHCP lease time 259200 (3 days), but just curious if there is a reason that the default is set for 86400 (1 day)?

Based on everything I know about networking, the default is way too frequent, especially for a home router where you don't have a shortage of IP addresses or lots of new devices connecting like you might have on a public WiFi network.

Am I missing something? I have all of my systems/devices on reserved addresses, so there is no reason to release/renew that frequently. is there?

I changed the DHCP lease time 259200 (3 days), but just curious if there is a reason that the default is set for 86400 (1 day)?

Based on everything I know about networking, the default is way too frequent, especially for a home router where you don't have a shortage of IP addresses or lots of new devices connecting like you might have on a public WiFi network.

Am I missing something? I have all of my systems/devices on reserved addresses, so there is no reason to release/renew that frequently. is there?

Having a shorter lease will reduce the chances of people using the router on a public LAN running into IP issues, without any real downside to those who don't. Your clients will always obtain the same IP by default when renewing, so there's no real reason to use a longer lease.

It also works better with the networkmap that might only fully update itself once every client has renewed their lease (if the router is ever rebooted).

I can't really see why having clients ask for a renewal 2 times a day would be a problem? (From what I understand most clients asks for renewal after half the lease time.)

So I'm curious on why you extended to 3 days? What's the purpose?

Wait until you see FIOS, the WAN IP lease is only 2 hours. :D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!