What's new

Why does my crimp tool not work for shielded RJ45 connector?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shawndh

New Around Here
I'm trying to run some shielded CAT5e cable from a roll through some walls and cap them. I know this is usually terminated at a punch down, but I'm using a HDMI over CAT5e/CAT6 Tx/Rx system that is demanding the solid and shielded connection in order to work, pre-made, braided patch cable. I went with plenum, shielded, solid core.

Well I got the cable run through the wall and I got the correct shielded connectors but my crimp tool will only properly crimp a regular, non-shielded connector. When I put the shielded connector in the crimp tool, it doesn't line up with the metal connectors that pierce the copper cores. It seems it lines up with the plastic in between the metal instead. But when I put in a regular RJ45 connector, it lines up perfectly. I couldn't find any information online about the crimp tool being any different for shielded connectors. So I don't know what to buy to crimp them.

I tried to check to see if the connectors were for CAT6 instead of CAT5e and I guessed they were for CAT5 because the cables did not appear to be staggered in the connector. What am I'm missing?

BTW: these shielded connectors are the EZ type where the color cables go all the way through.

LOL! I actually watched this video last night to see if I was doing something wrong. I've made CAT5 cables before but these connectors were given to me by a contractor. They are different from the ones that are readily available.

I just went to Fry's Electronics and bought some more shielded connectors. They lined up like normal and the Tx/Rx setup is working fine now. Thanx for the reply. I'm still a little confused as to what kind of crimp tool is used with the connectors he gave me but at lease I know I'm not crazy. :eek:

LOL! I actually watched this video last night to see if I was doing something wrong. I've made CAT5 cables before but these connectors were given to me by a contractor. They are different from the ones that are readily available.

I just went to Fry's Electronics and bought some more shielded connectors. They lined up like normal and the Tx/Rx setup is working fine now. Thanx for the reply. I'm still a little confused as to what kind of crimp tool is used with the connectors he gave me but at lease I know I'm not crazy. :eek:

IIRC, for Cat6 usually if a universal rj45 8P8C crimped doesn't work it means that the manufacturer of the plugs sells a proprietary tool. I've done very little Cat6 and the bit I've done has worked w/ my existing tools.

Sometimes, especially the higher up product lines of higher end networking equip companies like Belden & Blackbox will do stuff like that.

In general, one manufacturer's plugs only work with that manufacturer's crimp tool. There are three exceptions: 1) There's enough "slop" in many connectors / tools that the simple case of unshielded stranded cable will work across brands, 2) Many of the low-end brands are made in the same foreign factories as other brands, often with the same molds (only the "slug" for the brand name on the crimper handle is different), and 3) Many of the professional grade tools have options to crimp connectors from some other professional brand.

People who do this for a living use things like GMP tools and connectors. In particular, if you look at the plugs / dies link on that page, you'll see that shielded 4-pair requires a completely different die (25547) than any other cable type.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!