What's new

why does Trend Micro need to collect data for Adaptive QOS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yipee Kaiyay

Occasional Visitor
I would understand if they needed to collect data for virus related stuff, but isn't QOS a router specific function?
Why is Asus allowing Trend Micro to collect your personal data for functions that have nothing to do with viruses, or malware, etc.?

Should have trusted my gut and bought something else. I really don't like Asus as a company.
It would be nice if review sites mentioned stuff like this.

I would understand if they needed to collect data for virus related stuff, but isn't QOS a router specific function?
Why is Asus allowing Trend Micro to collect your personal data for functions that have nothing to do with viruses, or malware, etc.?

Should have trusted my gut and bought something else. I really don't like Asus as a company.
It would be nice if review sites mentioned stuff like this.

What is stopping you from returning your newly purchased router?

What was stopping you from learning about it before you bought it?

you cant ask questions before you even could assume there will be a question at all about it!

Or would you ask before if they need you to accept only for setting a fix Wifi-channel or something else not default?

And BTW where can you find an answer to this specific question?
Asus wont tell you and not everybody is member here before buying an asus router reading all posts for years!
Even if you do, they changed their rules from one to the next firmware, who could tell you before???

in my opinion there is nothing wrong in this question - these forums are for understanding / learning about what and how and why etc.. and these forums have been immensely useful through the help and support of forum colleagues..

but i think this

"

I really don't like Asus as a company.

"

i think this outburst was rather over the top.. Asus is a great innovative company for many of us and these routers are high class where all routers of any company have some pluses and minuses.. i may be wrong but the way i feel..

Sent from my SM-A800I using Tapatalk

in my opinion there is nothing wrong in this question - these forums are for understanding / learning about what and how and why etc.. and these forums have been immensely useful through the help and support of forum colleagues..

but i think this

"

I really don't like Asus as a company.

"

i think this outburst was rather over the top.. Asus is a great innovative company for many of us and these routers are high class where all routers of any company have some pluses and minuses.. i may be wrong but the way i feel..

Sent from my SM-A800I using Tapatalk
Why not just Switch off trend micro

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I don't agree with the Asus being a bad company but I do agree with the point regarding having to enable TrendMicro for a function that has nothing to do with it (unless there's something I'm not aware of).

Personally, I don't use the AIProtection features and this decision was re-enforced with the recent TrendMicro hack incident and how evasive they are being to what really happened.

I feel that with Diversion, Skynet, and good old fashion common sense, I should be secured enough.

It's really too bad because I think the FreshQOS script could be a huge boost to my network but it's attached to some bad karma (TrendMicro) for now :(

With regards to these forums, they are golden and almost everyone here is a great asset (esp. all the wizards behind the code) ;)

...but I do agree with the point regarding having to enable TrendMicro for a function that has nothing to do with it (unless there's something I'm not aware of).
Yes, there is something you're not aware of. As I said, this has already been discussed at length.

FYI- Netgear R9000 also uses Trendmicro signature database for QOS implementation. I guess all the latest Netgear's AX routers also uses Trendmicro's Signature database for QOS related stuff instead of Qualcomm's abandoned StreamBoost.
Trendmicro signature database is updated frequently so these days even Netgear is using their services.
Trendmicro is not limited to Asus alone. :p

What is stopping you from returning your newly purchased router?

because i bought the router a while ago and didn't need the QOS feature until recently?
I also read the revew on Smallnetbuilder.com and there was no mention of it.

FYI- Netgear R9000 also uses Trendmicro signature database for QOS implementation. I guess all the latest Netgear's AX routers also uses Trendmicro's Signature database for QOS related stuff instead of Qualcomm's abandoned StreamBoost.
Trendmicro signature database is updated frequently so these days even Netgear is using their services.
Trendmicro is not limited to Asus alone. :p

which is why i'm looking at the Ubiquity stuff.

but I do agree with the point regarding having to enable TrendMicro for a function that has nothing to do with it (unless there's something I'm not aware of).

Adaptive QoS uses the Trend Micro DPI engine to analyze traffic type, based on signature files also provided by Trend Micro. This is how it's able to automatically classify traffic.

Adaptive QoS uses the Trend Micro DPI engine to analyze traffic type, based on signature files also provided by Trend Micro. This is how it's able to automatically classify traffic.
Oh I see.

Would there be no other to implement QoS or is this more or less the standard that most routers use?

Oh I see.

Would there be no other to implement QoS or is this more or less the standard that most routers use?

If you want something that automatically configures itself, you need a DPI engine and some form of signatures to detect and classify traffic. Otherwise, you have to configure everything manually - this is what Asuswrt's Traditional QoS allows you to do.

If you want something that automatically configures itself, you need a DPI engine and some form of signatures to detect and classify traffic. Otherwise, you have to configure everything manually - this is what Asuswrt's Traditional QoS allows you to do.
Understood.

Thanks for pointing that out and clarifying :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!