What's new

Why I prefer Wifi 5 routers over 6/6E! Fast, cheap and fun

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Because cost difference matters and performance is measured in throughput. It’s all measurable and can be compared apples to apples. That’s what SNB charts are all about.

The most interesting thing is people who don't even have 1gb or above connection are talking about AX is so good. Interesting.......:eek:

The most interesting thing is people who don't even have 1gb or above connection are talking about AX is so good. Interesting.......:eek:
LAN transfers. Also speed improvements at longer ranges.

The Wifi6 router comes with a speed of AX6000 & higher, but what's funny is their counterpart Wifi6 extenders as of now only come with a speed of AX1800. I was planning to upgrade the R7800 to that of RAX80, but it seems to me like it's too early to do that.

Why would they release High-speed routers without having high-speed wifi extenders? What about the room or the furthest corner of the house?
I guess I would have to keep the DAP-1860 which is discontinued for years to come by until they release higher class wifi extenders. Mesh routers are not a solution at all without hardwiring the nodes due to half-duplex problems on wifi.

I was looking at the Asus RP AX56, seems like the max speed attainable on the 5GHZ band is only 1200mbps, while my current Dlink DAP-1860 can get 1700 Mbps, so this is a downgrade from AC2600.

@Sachb The extender market is focused on lower cost. The access radios (client connect) are primarily two stream because that is what most devices are.
Better extenders would have a dedicated four stream backhaul radio. This would provide the highest bandwidth link back to the root router. The NETGEAR EX8000 is an example. It's basically an original Orbi that can work with any router.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074F3M2W8/?tag=snbforums-20

Mesh routers are not a solution at all without hardwiring the nodes due to half-duplex problems on wifi.
A number of devices such as Asus's ZenWifi resolve that by adding a third radio that's dedicated to the backhaul, allowing full use of the client fronting radios.

A number of devices such as Asus's ZenWifi resolve that by adding a third radio that's dedicated to the backhaul, allowing full use of the client fronting radios.
Only Asus? What about Netgear?

Only Asus? What about Netgear?
There are probably others too, I never researched them. I'm only aware about the Asus ones because I had them in hands.

The speeds of AX6000 and higher are for all bands on optimum connections working consecutively at once. A single client will never see those speeds with current technology.

Extenders/Repeaters (wireless) are seen as a waste of money by me. They are single-use (focused) devices with no real cost savings and are something that can easily be outgrown (by getting a better router, optimizing the location of the main router, etc.). In addition, they halve wireless speeds for the entire network when in use (and halve it again if more than one is used). The supposed benefits dry up fast.

In addition, they halve wireless speeds for the entire network when in use (and halve it again if more than one is used).
This happens only when a packet is received and retransmitted on the same radio. Tri-radio extenders don't have the retransmit penalty because they use a dedicated backhaul connection.

Even some dual-band extenders can receive on one radio and transmit on the other. But it's less reliable because it depends on client connection band preference and extender to root AP distance.

Extenders are apparently not be your cup of tea @L&LD. But they are another tool in the kit.

The speeds of AX6000 and higher are for all bands on optimum connections working consecutively at once. A single client will never see those speeds with current technology.

Extenders/Repeaters (wireless) are seen as a waste of money by me. They are single-use (focused) devices with no real cost savings and are something that can easily be outgrown (by getting a better router, optimizing the location of the main router, etc.). In addition, they halve wireless speeds for the entire network when in use (and halve it again if more than one is used). The supposed benefits dry up fast.
Or you can just use the extender to connect to the existing router and then connect another router to the extender in the room and avoid half duplex issues. If I'm not wrong.

Like I did. I'm not using the extender's radio to connect my clients, only using its radio to connect to the router. Which means both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSID said are disabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!