What's new

Why I should NOT buy Asus GT-AX11000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Draghmar

Occasional Visitor
With this deceitful title I'd like you to tell me what do you think are the reasons I shouldn't buy Asus GT-AX11000. I've already asked about 'vs' in other thread and even though there was only one response, I've manage to choose.
But because of the price I still hesitate so I was wondering if having question asked in a different way would produce different answers.
So is there some things that are obvious downsides for this router?
I already know that no Merlin for me :( and I've read about WiFi 6E.

For that kind of money you could almost buy a Cisco RV340 router, Cisco WAP581 wireless, and POE+ injector which would build a longer term better network. This would be a much better basic network to expand from.

For that kind of money you could almost buy a Cisco RV340 router, Cisco WAP581 wireless, and POE+ injector which would build a longer term better network. This would be a much better basic network to expand from.

Forgot most important point, dedicated devices perform much better than soho crap.

If you're aware of 6E and still want the router, why are you asking?
Because I need one right now and not in whenever new version become available and then drop the price from the 'new item' level. Also WiFi is something secondary for me actually. So it is downside but not a deal breaker.
Second reason is to find out is there something specific that I should consider before deciding to buy it.

Need today? Buy the best within your budget (current 'Triband' routers are not what I consider 'best' though).

It seems you're hung up on 2.5 GbE LAN/WAN and LACP, and trying to find all of those in an all-in-one is pushing you into tri-band betaware errector-set territory somewhat unnecessarily.

First off, 2.5GbE WAN isn't really even a paradigm, as most WAN interface link speeds on multi-gig routing platforms scale by base-10, meaning 10GbE copper, but more often than that, SFP+ fiber. Plus, multi-gig to the home is not all that common yet. So IMHO, you should drop that requirement, or find a 10Gb discrete router, but trying to lump it into the requirements for an all-in-one is a bit fruitless at this point.

That leaves us with multi-gig switching with LACP. Again, IMHO, you're best served by simply getting a managed switch to handle this discretely. A Netgear GS110MX is only $159 and provides you with not one but two 10Gb/5Gb/2.5Gb ports, perfect for uplinking to a 10Gb-capable router when the time comes.

Add a <$250 all-in-one or wired router and AP(s) to that switch, and you've spent you're money wayyyyyyy more wisely, IMHO.

So if you wanted a stronger opinion than in the other thread, I'll give it to you. No. You shouldn't go buying that Asus based on your requirements, but rather, follow the above approach.

Need today? Buy the best within your budget (current 'Triband' routers are not what I consider 'best' though).
This router is the max my budget can handle and I thought it is good. I didn't find anything better. (on paper that is)

It seems you're hung up on 2.5 GbE LAN/WAN and LACP, and trying to find all of those in an all-in-one is pushing you into tri-band betaware errector-set territory somewhat unnecessarily.
[...]
So if you wanted a stronger opinion than in the other thread, I'll give it to you. No. You shouldn't go buying that Asus based on your requirements, but rather, follow the above approach.
Yes, I wanted opinions like that because that gives me some idea of how to look at something I want to buy.
I get your idea but you're talking of technical aspect of multi-gig and I'm looking at economical. I don't want to change my hardware every time something new happens or there's going to be some speed boost. My AC66U lasted for something like 10 years and when I was buying it AC was even bigger novelty than AX is now. 2.5GbE ports are simply cheaper then 10GbE.
Also if there are ports that are 2.5Gbps only or 2/5/5Gbps (same goes for cards) this means it's not always base-10 ;)

Looking at 1Gbps prices I'm pretty sure if 10Gbps will become more mainstream (there was one provider here with home version) I won't be able to afford it. But there's going to be slower and cheaper options like 5Gbs or 2.5Gbs (probably there's going to be more gradation). That's why I'd like to have hardware that will work with that.

I couldn't find this Netgear so cheap. Not sure where you've seen it. Also it's basically doesn't exists in Poland.

After reading both your post and one from coxhaus I started looking at divided solutions. It is not my field of expertise so it's not easy to get grasp even where to look. My setup needs to hook up to my provider through RJ-45 with specific MAC address to get net access and static IP. Then it needs to be routed to all the machines that needs wire connection. And don't forget WiFi thing. I will be able to upgrade laptop to AX if I'd like to.

you're talking of technical aspect of multi-gig and I'm looking at economical.
I'm talking about both. The total "cost" includes not just dollars and cents that leave your pocket but also overhead in choosing (or not choosing) the best setup for your needs. This may, or may not, be another all-in-one, which is fine either way.
I don't want to change my hardware every time something new happens or there's going to be some speed boost.
Ironically enough, that is precisely the point of deploying discrete components instead of an an all-in-one. Every time some new feature paradigm rolls around, you don't have to go gutting your entire network stack to accommodate for it. Wireless standard changes? Just replace your APs only. Needs more switching capacity and/or port speed? Just replace your managed switch(es). Need to go from 1Gb to multi-gig routing? Just replace your router. With a full swap of one all-in-one for the next, you're unseating your entire network stack all in one-go. I guess that could be viewed as a perceived benefit if the momentary inconvenience of having to reconfigure everything trumps the need to setup and manage discrete pieces. But for the performance and stability of a network overall, I'd argue a single point of failure like that would be more disruptive. Nevertheless, I digress, and we'll probably just have to agree to disagree on that point, at least for this setup, which is again completely fine.

As I hinted before, I certainly get the impulse to keep everything simplified into a one box. And we must account for the Polish market -- not everything is as available or as cheap as it may be in the USA. So my suggestion of that switch, or any switch for that matter, may be moot. Considering those items plus your stance overall, I'm actually going to reverse course here and say you might as well give the GT-AX11000 a shot. It's clearly the route you're desiring to go. If it falls short at any of its roles, you can always re-purpose it as just an AP, just a wired router, etc., then slot in other components to fill those needs. Perhaps that's the best approach right there -- start with the all-in-one, re-purpose and add gear only if necessary. :)

Last edited:
I'm talking about both. The total "cost" includes not just dollars and cents that leave your pocket but also overhead in choosing (or not choosing) the best setup for your needs.
Yes, that's true. I wasn't clear enough - your focus is on the hardware here and I was looking at what internet providers will probably have in the near future (I'm still waiting for fibre to get into my home...) and put it against my wallet.

Ironically enough, that is precisely the point of deploying discrete components instead of an an all-in-one.
I agree - having more dedicated components gives more flexibility when something needs to be replaced for one reason or another. But in most cases it costs a lot more and in this particular case it require a little bit of knowledge that I currently posses. :p If someone would point me things that could give me solution I needed, I'd gladly look into it. That's why all the AiOs are thriving and why so many people buys pre-built computers instead of building one for themselves.

It's clearly the route you're desiring to go
Yup, I want to buy it. It's easy and doesn't require anything time consuming.
But because it's expensive I wanted to know if there is something that could make me regret that decision. The points you're making are completely valid in this regard and I know I had to at least think about that to make the right choice.
The whole point of this thread is to really get anything bad that this router can cause.

And we must account for the Polish market
One of the main difference for the Polish market, from what I see, is that Netgear here is some niche and Asus and TP-Link have most of the market (not sure which one is bigger). Second thing is most hardware is somehow more expensive. For example this Asus we're talking here about is $450. And that is the lowest price I've found, where on average it can go above $500.

BTW It may sounded like I wanted to attack your reply. If that's the case then I'm sorry. It wasn't intentional. I like to challenge opinion to check how strong its foundations are or to look for some weak spots that should covered. And it doesn't matter if I actually agree. ;)