What's new

Why is the RT-AC86U considered a better device than the RT-AC88u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

999cm999

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a new router for a few months now to replace my Comcast Xfinity-provided XB7. I have Xfinity 1 gigabit service and FiOS TV.

I want to get a new Router because I'm geeky and love to fiddle. I also want to use Pi-Hole. Everything on the Xfinity provided XB7 is locked down by Comcast.

I live in a small, single family, 2-story brick home. I have 3 people working from home and 2 kids doing remote learning. On an average day, I have 2 PCs, a TV, and a PS4 using a wired connection(I have a cheap 1GB dumb switch), and 2 PCs, 2 TVs, and 6 phones/tablets using WiFi.

My budget is ~$220.

I was seriously just about to buy the ASUS RT-AC86u because it seems like a great device that has been a favorite among home network enthusiasts. I saw it on Amazon for ~$161. But then, I saw the ASUS AC88u. It is only about $75 more but I guess it's newer?

But then, I started Googling the difference between the two and it seems people still like the 86u more?

And I'm not sure why. So why do a lot of people still think the AC86u is better?

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited:
The AC86U is slightly older and for the cost difference it usually isn't worth it for people to spend the extra to get an AX88U or now AX86U. That being said, the AX88U has double the ram (1GB vs. 512MB), the same Flash (both at 256MB) and twice the cores (4x1.8Ghz vs. 2x1.8Ghz).

I have an AX88U and it works great for me.
Many have the 86U and love it as well. Some earlier 86U has wireless failures on 2.4Ghz and needed to be RMAed. Recently the latest firmware, some people with 86U have been complaining of temperature issues.

Edit: I swear it said AX88U, but now says AC88U. Ignore more points and L&LD is right.

Last edited:
The RT-AC88U is an older model and fewer resources than the RT-AC86U. The RT-AC86U is a much better router.

Asus Routers

I've been using the AC88U for over three years and it does well for me in a 2500 sf two-story home. But the main reason I got it was that it had 8 LAN ports so I didn't need an extra switch, and it was a good price on sale.

Ran an AC88U for last 2 years or so, it was a warranty replacement for an 87U. Covered 3400 sq ft and into the yard.

Get a newer one if you can, but otherwise does a fine job for right price. It did allow me to forego another switch, also, but switches are cheap.

Hello everyone,
~
My budget is ~$220.

I was seriously just about to buy the ASUS RT-AC86u because it seems like a great device that has been a favorite among home network enthusiasts. I saw it on Amazon for ~$161. But then, I saw the ASUS AC88u. It is only about $75 more but I guess it's newer?
But then, I started Googling the difference between the two and it seems people still like the 86u more?
And I'm not sure why. So why do a lot of people still think the AC86u is better?
Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks!
I think the logic you're using is what I relied upon also, before learning better. The logic that a higher-numbered model must make it a bigger, better, and more modern.

Without knowing for sure, I think the linux kernel version on the AC88U may be older--maybe the same as my AC68U (Linux 2.6.36.4 brcmarm) The AC86U's (Linux 4.1.27 aarch64).
Code:
uname -srm

This could effect compatibility with some newer merlin/3rd party scripts NOW and into the future (i.e. Suricata (maybe CakeQOS too)-- which I seem to remember--will not work on my AC68U)

I am relatively confident that the Broadcom SoC class (CPU) for the AC88U (Broadcom BCM4709C0 1.4GHz dual core) is similar to my AC68U (Broadcom BCM4708 800MHz dual core). The AC86U has a newer class of Broadcom SoC (BCM4906 1.8GHz dual core)

Last edited: