What's new

Why is there no support for the RT-AX92U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeden

Regular Contributor
I was looking to buy a new device and I'm torn between the AX92U and the AX56U. I see there's no support for the former; I'd like to know if it's meant to come in the future or if it's not going to happen for some reason.

Any recommendation on which is better in terms of hardware is welcome. Also, any comparison with my current router (AC88U) is welcome as well.

Thanks.

RMerlin has to pick and choose which routers he takes on. No guarantee he'll support any router. Nor is anything stopping him from supporting one in the future. The best you can do is base your decision on what is available today.

Coming from an RT-AC88U I would not recommend the RT-AX56U (or the similar RT-AX58U) without fully testing in your use, first.

The RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U are still the top two RMerlin supported routers right now.

Although a bit old now the AC88U is still a good performing device - is there some performance that you don't find great that you are looking to improve?

One thing to note on the AX92U - which is a small and great looking unit - is that it is geared towards being used as a mesh setup - although the marketing blurb goes on about WiFi 6/ 802.11AX only the second 5GHz radio can do AX, 5GHz radio 1 and 2.4GHz can only do AC and if using in mesh then the 2nd 5GHz id dedicated to that.

I use an AX56U as an AP - and it works great for that, small, doesn't get hot and WiFi is good on it, but not sure how good the performance would be for things like USB, VPN etc.

Although a bit old now the AC88U is still a good performing device - is there some performance that you don't find great that you are looking to improve?
Not really. It's just that I just bought the AC88U and I'm not sure I made the right choice when looking at the future.

Especially looking at the latency improvements.

Last edited:
RMerlin has to pick and choose which routers he takes on. No guarantee he'll support any router. Nor is anything stopping him from supporting one in the future. The best you can do is base your decision on what is available today.

Coming from an RT-AC88U I would not recommend the RT-AX56U (or the similar RT-AX58U) without fully testing in your use, first.

The RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U are still the top two RMerlin supported routers right now.
I tried upgrading to the RT-AC86U setting up 1 as my mesh router and using 2 as mesh nodes. They worked great for about a week. Then the 2 GHz band started to suffer performance issues. By that I mean unusable. When clients would connect (and that wasn't often) speeds would be so slow as to be as if they weren't connected. Often that band was useless. I tried cycling units to no avail. Those 3 AC86U's are on their way back.

I went back to my trusty 3100's and regret the experience. In retrospect I should have paid for one AX88U and kept using the 3100 nodes. At this point I'm keeping the 3100's in service until hell freezes over, they go up in a puff of smoke or the big guy calls me home. Whichever comes first.

Has there been any mentions about Merlin supporting the new RT-AX86U? I'm considering buying it but getting a supported device would be a definite plus.