What's new

Why my 1000M wired network is slower than 802.11N wireless network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

diablo2man

Occasional Visitor
I now have a very strange situation: my 1000M wired network is slower than 802.11N network. Here is the detail:

my 802.11N router is in my living room, which hook up with the Linksys PLK300 PowerLine AV Ethernet adapt.

My Laptop is in bedroom. Firstly the peer PLK300 adapter is connected with a trendnet 1000M x 8 port switch. And my laptop (intel 1000M network adapter) and my dns 323 (NAS) are connected to the switch.

It seems a bit complex but it is for the high speed local transfer speed between NAS and laptop. But I found the wired speed (2mbytes/s) is even slower than the wireless one (3mbytes/s), which are really weird. I just keep one line each time to test the transfer rate.

Firstly I thought it may caused by the PowerLine connection. So I disconnect the powerline, which making my laptop and dns just connected with each other by a switch (no internet access now). The speed is still pretty slow (2M) while the three devices involved are all 1000M interfaces.

Can anyone try to explain it?

What are you using to measure the speeds? And are you quoting MBytes/sec or
Mbits/sec?

Disable jumbo frames on the laptop if you are using them.
Make sure that the switch lights indicate a 1000 Mbps connection.

Gig switches running slower devices will degrade throughput. I keep 100mbps off the Gig switches and also I don't piggy back switches into switches. Best to run dedicate lines to each node ( network device) including AP, NAS an etc. Those small couplers also can degrade things too. Check your Gig Switches for duff ports. You don't want to start having so all called Gig connections showing up as 100mbps instead of 1000mbps. Duff ports usually signs of bad switch ports.

Yes, My understanding is that even cheap consumer gigE switches are cut-through and don't run out of buffer space due to 100BT frames. But I suppose it depends on what chipset the switch uses.

Not true, unless a single Gigabit device is simultaneously transfering to both Gigabit and 100 Mbps devices and flow control is enabled.
When Flow Control is not a Good Thing

In my experience ran and to me it was slow if both 100mbps switch and gig switch are connected. Most clients at corp enterprise keep the gig and 100mbps switches don't piggy bank each other.
So you're okay with 10/100/1000mbps with everything connected to the same switch ports. As appose to Gig Router to Gig switch branch out in pairs to Gig Switch and Fast Switch then each have their own node connect via ports.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!