What's new

Why only 1-3MB/s transfers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Antij

New Around Here
Hi all,

I just set up an Thecus N4100PRO with ZFS/RAID 1 on my network.

I'm trying to copy files to it, but I'm getting speeds of 1-3MB/s. It's painful.

My setup:
Cable Modem->
Airlink AR670W N/G/B Router with WPA-PSK->
N4100PRO NAS (Cat5)/VuNow player (Cat5)/PC (802.11G)->
Tried connecting my external hard drives both to the NAS and to my computer. Computer was faster, even via wireless. (Actually, doesn't matter whether copying files from my computer or from external drive to NAS, both are that slow, so not USB 1.1 issue. Also doesn't matter if I hardwire my computer to the router. Internet download speeds over WAN/LAN are 5-20Mbps, .25-.5 up, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the router's throughput as a switch.)

Question: Are there any quick fixes? A gigabit switch maybe? Putting DD-WRT/Tomato firmware on my router?
I wonder if it's trying to copy files to my computer and then to the NAS because I'm managing it from explorer...but it won't let me move around files from the web management interface so I'm not sure how else to do it.

Bonus question 1: Anyone know why I can't delete anything from my external disks when connected to the N4100Pro? Something to do with RAID 1 perhaps? (I actually forgot to check if I could write to the disk...so not 100% sure if it's a read-only problem.)

Bonus question 2: Is there any way to automagically backup select folders on my NAS to an external hard drive? I'm using the line of 1.5TB Seagates that were flaking out (new firmware, but want to be safe).

Any help on any questions is greatly appreciated. I'm mostly clueless about networking and NAS boxes, so please use small words :)

Thanks!
-Ann

Last edited:
I'm not quite clear about your setup.

What OS is the system running that is doing the file copy?

How large are the files being copied?

Are you copying to the N4100 Pro internal drives, or to USB-attached drives?
If USB, what is their format?

No, Thecus does not support NAS backup to attached drives.

-Vista Home Premium. Usually use TeraCopy for moving files but not faster than explorer. Have a few different Linux LiveCDs or a Win7 netbook lying around if you think I should test that.

-Anywhere from 5MB to 6GB. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

-Trying to move files from PC and external USB to the 2 internal NAS drives. Without checking, 99.9% sure USB is NTFS.

Hope that helps. Don't know enough to know what's relevant...

Last edited:
Even with a 100 Mbps LAN connection, you should see around 8 MB/s for larger file sizes.

The NAS can definitely take advantage of a gigabit LAN.

I'd first say try upgrading Vista to at least SP1. But first, what do you get when you copy files between the current PC and the Win7 netbook.

By the way, 11g wireless is best case 22 Mbps which is 2.75 MB/s and with any range more like 10 Mbps / ~1 MB/s. So don't use wireless for large file copies.

Come to think when you tried the transfer using a wired connection, did you disable the wireless connection? If not, repeat your experiment again with the wireless disabled.

Disabling wireless - wow - something that simple did the trick. Now seeing 8-11MB/s

And here I spent hours researching and trying everything else under the sun. The answer was two clicks away.

Hope I don't have to disable every time I'm hooked into LAN, but then the speed is definitely worth the inconvenience.

Thanks a ton Tim!

Hope I don't have to disable every time I'm hooked into LAN, but then the speed is definitely worth the inconvenience.
I always do. Otherwise both connections will be active and you'll have the problems that you have experienced.

Seems to be working simultaneously now...but now I know what to do if that stops.

It all seems so flaky...e.g. when setting up I couldn't see the NAS on the network, couldn't see it, couldn't see it, then I access it once with Knoppix and suddenly Vista can recognize the box and everything works perfectly. And then this. Disconnect from wireless once for copying and then it starts defaulting to the wired connection regardless of wifi connections. Weirdly inconsistent.

Oh well...I'm totally in love with my new sub-$700 1.5TB HTPC/media server/shared backup. Worth the hassle and the cash, wish I hadn't waited so long.

Anyway, thanks again. Really appreciate the help and advice. The site and the articles are fantastic as well! Have not come across a site even remotely as good during my research.

Take care,
Ann

Are you talking here about disabling the wireless connection from the router or from the computer?

It would be a bummer if one has to switch off the wireless from the router- I have three cellphones at home logging on to wifi.

I always do. Otherwise both connections will be active and you'll have the problems that you have experienced.

Are you talking here about disabling the wireless connection from the router or from the computer?
Disable the client side (computer) wireless if you have an Ethernet connection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!