What's new

Why share storage performance is so low

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bnaimy

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

Did the dumbest thing ever today, i had the Asus N66U router with 450 Mbps
Now i also bought the ASUS EA-N66 and so i thought, this will give me some really awesome speeds...i thought.

After spending 6 hours trying different configurations and checking the forum here for solutions i gave up, got so frustrated that i just ripped out the router and threw it in the garbage after giving it a good beating lol yeah i know it was stupid.

My issue was that i only got 20Mbyte pr second when doing transfer from or to my QNAP NAS. Tryed 5ghz and 2.4ghz with every possible combination and even with other computers in the house, some had windows 8 and some had windows 7

Now to my surprise i checked the performance table and i see that most routers dont do more then 20mbyte pr second when it comes to storage, am i reading it wrong or is that true ??? Did i just trow a good router in the garbage :/ or should i have expected better performance. My NAS does 56Mbyte when connected directly to the computer or with wire, but wireless performance was shirtt.

So i need help guys, should i get the NEW Asus N66 AC that and a AC adapter, and hope for better share storage performace or am i stuck until something better come out ?

I got the Asus EA-N66 adapter that supports 450mbps, what router should i go with the to get the maximum shared storage performace, that is what really care about. Price is not a issue, i just need performace, and running fiber true the house is my last option, would like to get all options on the table before i go and get the drill.

Thanks for reading my rant :)

With kind regards
Bashir Naimy

I'd not expect more than 20MBytes/sec (160Mbps) NET YIELD (net of all overhead) for any WiFi, unless you have great client devices and have very short unobstructed path lengths. I exclude 40MHz modes for good reason.

Thanks for the response

Thanks for the respons Stevech,

So i should expect around 20Mbyte pr sec with 20mhz mode, but what kind of speeds can one expect when using the 40mhz mode and the router has the new AC like the ASUS RT-AC66U 11AC N1750 Router.

The adapter that i have right now is the ASUS EA-N66 and it supports 450mbps
Should i expect 40mbyte pr sec with this setup or would i need to get a Adapter that has the new 11AC to make it performe well ??

Any suggestions are welcome, my main concern is to get the transfer speed to around 40 mbyte pr sec. I have alot of HD video and i want to stream it to my Boxee that then will show it on the TV.

Before this i got some powerplugs, but performace was horrible.
So been there and done that, and results were not good considering i payed good money for those powerplugs.

Thanks again for the resonse and i hope to hear some advice as what to get to get a better performance in the 40mbyte pr sec range

give 802.11ac another year to mature.

To use it sooner, both ends of course have to support 11ac. And 40MHz isn't viable in 2.4GHz unless you are rural. You'll need both ends to support 5.8GHz.

It really isn't worth the hassle, in WiFi.

Want those kind of speeds... use wired cat5, MoCA, HomePlug.