What's new

Wi-Fi Client Directing to URL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marko T

New Around Here
Hi all routing gurus,

How to direct connected Wi-Fi Clients first to certain web page (local web server's page)?

Setup:
- Asus router RT-AC87U with Asuswrt-merlin 380.69.
- PC (Lubuntu 17.10) connected to the router.

The router with a wireless HotSpot includes DHCP server and defines all the IPs.

PC acts as a web server. The web server is communicating also to WAN.

When a Wi-Fi Client connects to the HotSpot and gets an IP, how the Client can be "forced" to a local web page first before going to internet?

I attached a picture also that might help to understand the issue

I would appreciate clear and functioning solution for this.

Thank you in advance,

Marko

Attachments

• WifiClientDirectToURL.jpg
    WifiClientDirectToURL.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 869
Last edited:
Thanks Martineau,

Captive Portal is surely a good choise.

Howabout, instead of using CP would it be possible just to direct clients to certain URL as they have got the IPs and open their browser?

Thanks Martineau,

Howabout, instead of using CP would it be possible just to direct clients to certain URL as they have got the IPs and open their browser?

Captive portal has that feature normally, I recommend to use nodogsplash with entware-ng.
You can set custom html page and redirect URL.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T5VUYFUzNnhcrxPkf8WZ7wk1sapY6H9e

It doesn't have commercial features.

FYI, if you want to test or use NDS, you need to add a line in nat-start.
When firmware restart firewall, the rule related with NDS will gone because NDS use iptables.
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S95nodogsplash restart

Last edited:

Apologies, the Wiki link I pasted was invalid :oops:. It has now been corrected and describes what is meant by the term 'Captive Portal'

Captive portal has that feature normally, I recommend to use nodogsplash with entware-ng.
You can set custom html page and redirect URL.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T5VUYFUzNnhcrxPkf8WZ7wk1sapY6H9e

It doesn't have commercial features.

FYI, if you want to test or use NDS, you need to add a line in nat-start.
When firmware restart firewall, the rule related with NDS will gone because NDS use iptables.
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S95nodogsplash restart

Thanks, I will try this. In Asuswrt-merlin 380.69 it was impossible to get NoCATsplash into use. Let's see whether dog is better

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!