What's new

Wi-Fi Connection Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question or whether I should post it on a Windows support forum, but I'll try here first as I'm using an RT-AX88U running on the latest stable Merlin firmware. Basically, the problem is, if I update the driver for my Wireless adapter, I can no longer connect to the internet or the router. It doesn't matter whether I use Windows to update the driver or the Intel driver update utility - the result is the same.

I checked the situation using the Android ASUS mobile app while the problem was occurring and it confirmed what the Windows troubleshooter was saying, i.e. that my laptop didn't have a valid IP address (the mobile app just showed a blank for where the IP address would normally appear). If I roll back the driver, everything returns to normal.

I'm uploading the troubleshooter report in case that gives any clues. Do you think I should report this to Intel?

Attachments

• Error Report.pdf
    113.9 KB · Views: 189
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question or whether I should post it on a Windows support forum, but I'll try here first as I'm using an RT-AX88U running on the latest stable Merlin firmware. Basically, the problem is, if I update the driver for my Wireless adapter, I can no longer connect to the internet or the router. It doesn't matter whether I use Windows to update the driver or the Intel driver update utility - the result is the same.

I checked the situation using the Android ASUS mobile app while the problem was occurring and it confirmed what the Windows troubleshooter was saying, i.e. that my laptop didn't have a valid IP address (the mobile app just showed a blank for where the IP address would normally appear). If I roll back the driver, everything returns to normal.

I'm uploading the troubleshooter report in case that gives any clues. Do you think I should report this to Intel?
Encountered this situation recently, and may (or may not be relevant). Guy brings his Dell Latitude laptop home from work and can't connect to router. Router (Netgear) was configured for WPA2 TKIP/AES. Windows was trying to connect with TKIP and wouldn't do it. Changed to AES, and all was well.

Router is set to AES WPA2-Personal. Another strange thing is I have rolled back the driver, which has restored wireless connectivity, but the Inter update utility still says the latest driver is installed. So now, I'm totally confused.

per other forums, some are finding that if the 5g band is set to auto, it chooses channels that can cuase problems for some clients. Set it to a safe channel like 44 and see if that solves your problem

per other forums, some are finding that if the 5g band is set to auto, it chooses channels that can cuase problems for some clients. Set it to a safe channel like 44 and see if that solves your problem
I have mine permanently set to channel 36. If the channel is set above 44 (I think), my Amazon Fire TV won't connect.

Sometimes, you can re-install the drive from the manufacturer or off the CD
The drivers on the manufacturer's site haven't been updated since I purchased the computer, so they are out of date by now. I re-ran the Intel utility yesterday evening and it still says my driver is up-to-date and since it's now working, I'll leave it now and see what happens when the next update is released.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 20_01_2020 , 07_35_13.png
    Screenshot - 20_01_2020 , 07_35_13.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Screenshot - 20_01_2020 , 07_36_01.png
    Screenshot - 20_01_2020 , 07_36_01.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 214

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!