Wi-Fi Ping Spikes: Causes and Fixes

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Great article Tim. Curious who Dennis Bland is though? Was he the author of the article, or you?

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
That's explained in the article. His bio is included at the bottom

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Oops! Sorry, I saw your name at the top of the article, skipped the intro, and just saw the bio at the bottom. Thanks.

theirongiant

Regular Contributor
This was a great article. One of the suggested features to check — automatic channel selection — was enabled on my AX88U. I was having intermittent severe latency on the 2.4GHz channel: we're talking several seconds where packets would not go through, followed by a flood of extremely late packets (5+ seconds). Occasionally devices would drop off the network entirely, necessitating a reboot of the device or the router to resolve.

The 2.4GHz network is *only* used for Smart Home devices (IoT) that don't support 5GHz.

To increase network stability I set a fixed channel, reduced the bandwidth to 20MHz, and limited the protocol to 802.11g/n only (no 11b). These changes have reduced a lot of the random dropouts and latency spikes. My Twinkly Christmas lights are much more responsive now!

I have Smart Connect enabled for now, but I plan to turn it off soon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!