What's new

Wifi 6 AP with multi-gig wired backbone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mlai

Regular Contributor
Hello gurus,
Any recommendations for dual-band 8-stream (2.4G 4x4/5G 4x4) wifi 6 APs ( no need for routing capabilities as I will use a separate router) with 2.5G/5G Ethernet backbone connection?

This is for a home installation with multiple rooms with thick walls, but the good thing is that all rooms are multi-gig wired, with a multi-gig central switch.

Netgear EAX80 would have been ideal only if it had a multi-gig port.....

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Pretty much have to hold out for Ubiquiti, Auba, Cisco etc to release one of the AP's with a 10gb link and Wi-Fi 6.
Ubiquiti already do an AC with 10gb, so I presume that Wi-Fi6 with 10gb is not too far round the corner and would likely support 6e.

Other option I guess would be Asus RT-ax89x setup in AP mode and use it's 10gb connection if it's urgent.

Pretty much have to hold out for Ubiquiti, Auba, Cisco etc to release one of the AP's with a 10gb link and Wi-Fi 6.
Ubiquiti already do an AC with 10gb, so I presume that Wi-Fi6 with 10gb is not too far round the corner and would likely support 6e.

Other option I guess would be Asus RT-ax89x setup in AP mode and use it's 10gb connection if it's urgent.
Thanks. I am already running a pair of Zenwifi XT8 and a Archer AX6000 all have 2.5G ports. I guess I will hold out for now......

Cisco did 2.5 gig over 2 years ago on their Cisco WAP581 wireless AP AC. I hope they don't do Wi-FI 6 as I will wait for Wi-Fi 6e.

@mlai - Budget and skill set notwithstanding, if you really need a working implementation now, I'd go straight to certified enterprise, namely Aruba 530 or 550, Cisco Catalyst 9120 or 9130 or Ruckus R730, 750 or 850. Otherwise, wait 6-12 months for the commodity boxes to catch up.

Last edited:
Wow Cisco Catalyst 9120 is a wireless device. When did this happen? It use to be all Cisco Catalyst products were switches.

I kind of like it. Does it require a controller? I found it.
● Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers
● Cisco 3500, 5520, and 8540 Series Wireless Controllers and Cisco Virtual Wireless Controller

Last edited:
Yeah cox, seems Cisco is dropping the "Aironet" moniker and going all-Catalyst branding as of 802.11ax. Probably makes sense with converging control planes across LAN and WLAN becoming the norm.

The 9120 looks great but the Catalyst 9800 series controller is way too much for home use.

I don't know if you know but back in the old days Catalyst switches ran CatOS instead of IOS. I remember working on a Cisco 6500 switch using CatOS. And I think the RSM route module in the 6500 ran IOS but it has been a long time. RSM could not route the whole switch it was limited.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!