What's new

Wifi Access Points on Same Channel????

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
I have 3 Wi-Fi access points (all named Home_2Net) in my home utilizing channels 1,6 and 11 on the 2.4 band. Is there any reason why I could not assign each of these 3 points the same channel?? My Wi-Fi then would look like:

SSID: Home_2Net (times 3)
CHAN: 6

You could do that but it is the worst possible setup that people try to avoid at all costs. Having 3 different access points all transmitting on the same frequency means that they'll be fighting each other. The idea of putting them on 1, 6 and 11 is that they are as far away from each other (in frequency terms) as possible to minimise interference.

The purpose of an AP is to extend coverage, e.g., provide coverage to areas where the wireless router doesn't reach.

Therefore APs have to be "far enough" apart. On the extreme if they were right next to each other you wouldn't get extended coverage.

They also have to be "close enough", i.e., some signal overlap, or the client will hit a dead spot (no connection) as he moves from AP to AP.

Therefore at least some APs will share airspace. I'm thinking APs that share the same airspace should use different channels or you will take a performance hit (akin to having a nearby neighbor's router using the same channel as you).

Now if your APs are lined up in a clear daisy chain fashion (A==>B==>C) it's entirely possible that A&C won't overlap and could use the same channel.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!