What's new

WiFi adapters and LSO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
In my very small sample of 3 computers running Windows, all Ethernet adapters support enabling/disabling Large send Offload for IPv4 and IPv6. None of the WiFi adapters have those options. Is this a peculiarity of Windows and/or the drivers written for it, or does it imply something about WiFi adapters and LSO? If the latter, is LSO not supported by WiFi adapters? Or conversely, is it always supported and cannot be disabled?

Behind this question is the fact that I am getting brief WiFi failures that are always accompanied by the report "LSO was triggered" on a WiFi adapter that, as near as I can tell, does not support LSO.

I checked a desktop and laptop both running Windows 10. The WIFI adapter on both lacked the LSO setting. Google did turn up several articles about disabling LSO but nothing specific for WIFI untill I ran "lso wifi" and several hits came up mostly avout running 160 MHz.
Here is one: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...omly-disconnecting?forum=win10itpronetworking

Last entry may have your solution:

"
Ok, guys. I figured it out.
The "Lso was triggered" event will be logged every time my computer connects to the WiFi network. That is to say, whenever I turn on or reset my computer, it will connect to the WiFi network and hence, log the event.
Additionally, this event is logged every time my access point changes channel. My access point was configured for auto-channel selection, meaning this variable could change on-the-fly based on interference and usage. This explains why I saw the "Lso was triggered" event logged many times throughout the day even though I seldom shut down or reset my computer.
I don't know why my WiFi adapter does this; maybe sub-optimal drivers or a bad access point; but sometimes when the channel changes and this event is logged, my internet connection is dropped for a second or so (very noticeable while gaming).
The solution was to set a fixed channel in the access point. Problem solved. I have spent over 2 days without any internet connection drop and without the "Lso was triggered" event logged."

Last edited:
I saw the 1690 MHz hits, too. My adapter has only two channel width options: 2 MHz and Auto. I've been reluctant to set it to 2 MHz but maybe I'd better try that. I'll see if that fixes (or hurts) anything,