What's new

WiFi as WAN? WISP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Viktor Jaep

Part of the Furniture
BAH. I've gathered from the forums that WISP is not an option... After upgrading to the GT-AX6000, I have my old trusty AC86U sitting here that I would love to use as a secondary development device... but I would like to use its full functionality (ie. router mode), not all dumbed down like when you enable repeater/bridge mode, and you lose half the functionality and features. :(

I would love to assign the 2.4GHz as WAN0, and use the 5GHz as the local dev Wi-Fi network. I remember this was possible on OpenWRT on my ol' trusty WRT54G - I believe it was called "client bridge"... ;) It would be a huge benefit to be able to peer another router off my main Wi-Fi network, and have it act as it's own router/network for testing... then I can just jump onto that router through its own network, and get to SSH.

Any way of hacking something to gain this functionality with some crafty SSH commands?

How are others handling their development environment and being able to hop on/off other router models quickly and easily?

I have no development environment, but I test routers in double NAT behind my Netgate firewall or directly attached to my ISP modem which provides 2x public IPv4/IPv6 addresses to 2x devices at the same time. This way I can see what's going on in both configurations plus IPv6 Native and Passthrough. Sometimes you can see me posting GUI pictures from AC86U and AX86U in few minutes time. I figured it out. :)

Can't you simply use it in router mode?

Can't you simply use it in router mode?
I could, but it would have no network connectivity... which kinda defeats the purpose of trying to test scripts dealing with vpn/network connectivity. Unfortunately I'm not lucky like @Tech9 as my modem doesn't allow for multiple connections/IPs. :(

If there was a way to nvram commit a different eth# port of the 2.4GHz to WAN0, perhaps that might work? Not sure if anyone has ever had success with a gross hack like that?

Why not? Simply connect a LAN cable from your router to the WAN of this one.

Why not? Simply connect a LAN cable from your router to the WAN of this one.
OMG @L&LD you are a genius! I was thinking about keeping it near me in another room and would need to use the Wi-Fi to make the reach for connectivity, but it doesn't matter - I'll just jack it into the main router. Thank you!

BAH. I've gathered from the forums that WISP is not an option... After upgrading to the GT-AX6000, I have my old trusty AC86U sitting here that I would love to use as a secondary development device... but I would like to use its full functionality (ie. router mode), not all dumbed down like when you enable repeater/bridge mode, and you lose half the functionality and features. :(

I would love to assign the 2.4GHz as WAN0, and use the 5GHz as the local dev Wi-Fi network. I remember this was possible on OpenWRT on my ol' trusty WRT54G - I believe it was called "client bridge"... ;) It would be a huge benefit to be able to peer another router off my main Wi-Fi network, and have it act as it's own router/network for testing... then I can just jump onto that router through its own network, and get to SSH.

Any way of hacking something to gain this functionality with some crafty SSH commands?

How are others handling their development environment and being able to hop on/off other router models quickly and easily?
Get a second router and set it up as a media bridge hooked up to your main router and connect the WiFi on that media bridge to the WAN you want to use and then on the main router set it up as a WAN interface by ethernet port.

Get a second router and set it up as a media bridge hooked up to your main router and connect the WiFi on that media bridge to the WAN you want to use and then on the main router set it up as a WAN interface by ethernet port.
I tried that, but it really dumbs down the router, and you lose a bunch of functionality like the firewall and several other things... practically half the tabs on the left hand side of the UI disappear... so it's not "true-to-self" as with a regular "Wi-Fi router mode".

What is @Ranger802004 saying is use another router as wireless bridge and connect it to AC86U WAN. It's the same double NAT like the cable to the main router, but you can have it on your desk. If the speed is not critical for your testing the one below has wireless bridge mode in firmware:

1672631605379.png

This is a very small size AC1200 basic router with Fast Ethernet ports. I'm using two as wireless bridges to wired devices. Cheap and stable.

What is @Ranger802004 saying is use another router as wireless bridge and connect it to AC86U WAN. It's the same double NAT like the cable to the main router, but you can have it on your desk. If the speed is not critical for your testing the one below has wireless bridge mode in firmware:

View attachment 46846
Gotcha! That makes sense... thanks again @Tech9 and @Ranger802004!