What's new

Wifi devices get different subnet's IP address assigned

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

canabino

Occasional Visitor
My RT-AC5300 with Merlin firmware is running in router mode behind my ISP's router.
I am not able to connect to my Asus Router's Webgui or SSH from any WiFi connected devices. (LAN connected devices can access the RT-AC5300)
The problem is weird because the device shows it as connected to the Asus router's SSID but the IP address assigned to it is from the ISP router's DHCP pool.
Any help is appreciated.

Are you connecting to the Asus' guest WiFi network #1 which has an IP address of 192.168.101.x or 192.168.102.x?

Can you post a screenshot of your System Log - Wireless Log. (don't obscure any of the IP addresses).

Attachments

• SAVE_20220710_194635.jpg
    SAVE_20220710_194635.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 107
Neither of those two devices have connected successfully to the router, they have no IP address. If you're seeing an IP address in the Network Map page it's likely to be stale information, or an address it had previously obtained.

Are these devices configured as DHCP clients?

Have you got any more WiFi devices to test with?

That is why it is so weird. My phone which is the Xiaomi device shows it is connected to the Asus router but it's IP ad is not on the same subnet. They are configured as DHCP clients. I have tried to connect from my laptop as well but it also gets a IP address assigned to it from my ISP's router subnet. They are all able to connect to the internet but can't access the Asus router's Webgui because they are on another subnet. I have restarted the router and gone through the settings but can't find anything.

What is the make and model of your ISP router?

What is the first 3 octets of the addresses your WiFi devices are getting?

Do you have any custom scripts installed on the Asus router? If so, try disabling those (Administration - System) and rebooting the router.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas. You could save the entire syslog and upload it to pastebin.com. We might be able to spot something.

My ISP's router is a TPlink Archer XR500v.
The WiFi devices are getting 192.168.100.x addresses assigned.
Asus router is on the 192.168.50.x subnet.
I am not running any custom scripts. Only scMerlin
Thanks for looking into it. I will continue to troubleshoot and maybe do a system restore and start fresh.

Is the Asus still in Router mode?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!