What's new

WiFi disconnecting multiple times per day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rocko

New Around Here
I recently moved and now have RCN(Astound) as my ISP. My apartment is very long and their stock router/modem did not have good connectivity in my room, so I bought the RT-AX86U Pro (AX5700) router and a Motorola MB8611 modem.
The WiFi was fine for a couple months, but for the last week or so my WAN has been disconnecting around 20 times a day(some not noticeable) at seemingly random times.
I'm running firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_23565, and none of my devices are hardwired.

I have a base knowledge of computers, but network troubleshooting is uncharted territory. I'm unsure if this is an issue with my router, modem, or RCN.

Logs are attached, and I would very much appreciate any help in scoping the issue.

Attachments

• small timeframe.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 24
  • full logs.txt
    601.1 KB · Views: 22
I recently moved and now have RCN(Astound) as my ISP. My apartment is very long and their stock router/modem did not have good connectivity in my room, so I bought the RT-AX86U Pro (AX5700) router and a Motorola MB8611 modem.
The WiFi was fine for a couple months, but for the last week or so my WAN has been disconnecting around 20 times a day(some not noticeable) at seemingly random times.
I'm running firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_23565, and none of my devices are hardwired.

I have a base knowledge of computers, but network troubleshooting is uncharted territory. I'm unsure if this is an issue with my router, modem, or RCN.

Logs are attached, and I would very much appreciate any help in scoping the issue.

WAN disconnect implies your modem is either having issues or the ISP is rebooting it frequently for some reason. Also check the cable between the Asus WAN and the Modem LAN. Needs to be CAT5e minimum since it is a 2.5G connection (assuming you're using the 2.5G WAN port on the Asus).

If the modem is losing signal it may be rebooting, check the logs on the motorola (should be accessible at http://192.168.100.1)

Your title says wifi is disconnecting but it sounds like the wifi is connected but the WAN is disconnecting? Your full log shows your router rebooting several times, did you reload it or did it do it on its own?

Need to clarify exactly what is going down. I see WAN port bounces, router reboots, and wireless client disconnects (which are totally normal if you're walking in and out with a phone, rebooting a PC, etc).

Thanks for the quick response.
I've used 3 different CAT5e cables between my modem and router over the last week, none of them seemed to make a difference.

Given that I have 0 hardwired(LAN) devices connected to my router, I thought WAN and WiFi are interchangeable.
My current setup is coax cable -> modem -> CAT5e cable -> router(WAN port) -> many wireless devices. I'm paying for 1.2Gb speed from my ISP.

In the past I have manually restarted my router/modem, but not today.

I was able to get to my modem at 192.168.100.1 and I've attached 3 log files. The event logs here don't seem to old a lot of history, so I cleared them to find relevant info.
"pre-clear logs" are the logs that appeared when I first logged into the modem.
I then cleared the logs, and made the "post-clear1 logs" file after the next WAN disconnect.
I then cleared the logs again, and made the "post-clear2 logs" file after the next WAN disconnect (they have been pretty often today).

I know this is a forum specific to ASUS routers, but again any insight would be appreciated. If you think I would be better off talking to my ISP, I can easily call them.

Attachments

• pre-clear logs.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 22
  • post-clear1 logs.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 19
  • post-clear2 logs.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for the quick response.
I've used 3 different CAT5e cables between my modem and router over the last week, none of them seemed to make a difference.

Given that I have 0 hardwired(LAN) devices connected to my router, I thought WAN and WiFi are interchangeable.
My current setup is coax cable -> modem -> CAT5e cable -> router(WAN port) -> many wireless devices. I'm paying for 1.2Gb speed from my ISP.

In the past I have manually restarted my router/modem, but not today.

I was able to get to my modem at 192.168.100.1 and I've attached 3 log files. The event logs here don't seem to old a lot of history, so I cleared them to find relevant info.
"pre-clear logs" are the logs that appeared when I first logged into the modem.
I then cleared the logs, and made the "post-clear1 logs" file after the next WAN disconnect.
I then cleared the logs again, and made the "post-clear2 logs" file after the next WAN disconnect (they have been pretty often today).

I know this is a forum specific to ASUS routers, but again any insight would be appreciated. If you think I would be better off talking to my ISP, I can easily call them.

Definitely looks like your ISP connection is bouncing but can't tell from those logs if it is due to the modem crashing/rebooting or the ISP. While in the modem status go look at your signal levels:

Downstream power -15 to +15 but -10 to +10 is preferable, outside of that you're getting into borderline signal especially with high speed tiers
Upstream power - your modem may not show this but if it does, between 40 and 50
Signal/Noise Ratio / SNR - above 30.

Anything outside of that, you need to check your internal wiring and/or get the cable company out. You want to rule out your own wiring if possible as otherwise they'll charge you if they determine that to be the cause.

The router logs you posted previously show it rebooting also, which it normally would not do but maybe after a certain amount of time with no internet it does a minor reboot. Either that, or they are both plugged into the same power source and that source is flickering?

If it is happening frequently today stay near it and try to see if one or both devices is rebooting?

Downstream power hovers tightly around 5 or 6.
SNR is right around 39.
1695765927455.png

The only wiring of mine is the CAT5e between modem and router, which I've ruled out as the cause of issue.

I'll continue to keep an eye on everything, but it seems like I'm going to have to get a guy from my ISP out here.

The WiFi went out as I was typing that response, as seen in the System Up Time field:
1695766230487.png

The router logs say WAN was down for 6 seconds, which makes sense that only my roommate noticed it (he was playing videogames). I didn't get to see whether the router or modem restarted itself.

Given that the System Up Time field reset on the modem logs, we can definitively say that this is not a router issue(right?), but I'm still not sure if it's my modem or ISP.

The WiFi went out as I was typing that response, as seen in the System Up Time field:
View attachment 53319

The router logs say WAN was down for 6 seconds, which makes sense that only my roommate noticed it (he was playing videogames). I didn't get to see whether the router or modem restarted itself.

Given that the System Up Time field reset on the modem logs, we can definitively say that this is not a router issue(right?), but I'm still not sure if it's my modem or ISP.

Yeah that's unlikely to be anything to do with your router. If it was only down 6 seconds your modem didn't fully reboot but the only way to figure out if it is a modem problem or ISP problem is to try a different modem.

View attachment 53319

In the meantime you can check all your coax cables and connections but obviously you can only go so far with that. Sometimes it is as simple as an aerial drop from the street blowing in the wind and breaking the connection when it does.

If you can get to someone who knows what they're doing at the ISP they can view more detailed logs and often know where the issue is.

Signal levels look fine so that is not it.
Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV means the modem can not sync with the ISP parameters.
May be the modem or the ISP but I think it may be the modem.
I had the MB8611 and it ran fine for about a month then started rebooting at random times.
Sometimes just logging into the modem GUI would cause it to reboot.
Replaced the MB8611 with Arris S33 and all is good again.

UPDATE:
I should've done more research when buying this modem, as this issue seems to be pretty common. I'm sure someone smarter than me could fix this issue, but I would rather just not deal with it.

A tech from my ISP came to my place to see what the problem was, and the tech mentioned this issue immediately when he saw this modem. He said that Motorola was great up until about 5 years ago, but their modems can't support modern 1Gb/s speeds. He also said he's seen this modem work perfectly fine at lower speed plans, but starts to have issues at over 800Mb/s. He replaced my modem with RCN's standard modem, and I haven't had any issues since.

I think I'm going to follow suit and get the Arris S33 modem.

Sources(Grabbed 1st couple results from google, it's that common):

UPDATE:
I should've done more research when buying this modem, as this issue seems to be pretty common. I'm sure someone smarter than me could fix this issue, but I would rather just not deal with it.

A tech from my ISP came to my place to see what the problem was, and the tech mentioned this issue immediately when he saw this modem. He said that Motorola was great up until about 5 years ago, but their modems can't support modern 1Gb/s speeds. He also said he's seen this modem work perfectly fine at lower speed plans, but starts to have issues at over 800Mb/s. He replaced my modem with RCN's standard modem, and I haven't had any issues since.

I think I'm going to follow suit and get the Arris S33 modem.

Sources(Grabbed 1st couple results from google, it's that common):

Motorola used to own surfboard then sold it to arris, their own brand modems/gateways have never been great. Even with arris I only ever tell people to get the surfboards. Plain arris is nothing spectacular either.

Motorola used to own surfboard then sold it to arris, their own brand modems/gateways have never been great. Even with arris I only ever tell people to get the surfboards. Plain arris is nothing spectacular either.

Arris Surfboard S33 is one of the best modems you can buy right now. It is one of the few modems that is in the Low Latency trials.
Arris stopped using the Motorola name in 2015 when the license rights ended.
But they continue to use the Surfboard name and the designers/engineers who worked on the Motorola Surfboard line still work for Arris.

Zoom Telephonics acquired the license rights to use the Motorola name in 2016 so all Motorola modems 2016 and after are just Zoom modems.
Zoom is now owned by Minim and is close to going bankrupt.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online