What's new

Wifi Disconnects on MacBook Air

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sdh9

New Around Here
I have been having recurring issues with my 2018 MacBook Air disconnecting from wifi, sometimes several times in a just a few minutes. Nothing I can do on the client will enable it to stay connected, yet other times it will work fine. It's only my MacBook, I have about 25 other devices that seem to do fine otherwise (and yes it doesn't happen on other networks so it's probably not a hardware issue with my laptop).

My setup is a RT-AC86U running 384.16, and a my old AC68U that is an AiMesh node using ASUS firmware.

Based on a tip, I reverted back to 384.12 firmware that seemed to resolve the issue, but obviously I lost AiMesh, not to mention that it's a pretty out of date firmware at that point. That being said I ran it for about a month and it worked well.

Any thoughts? I haven't seen anything in the logs that gave me a clue.

Did you try deleting the connection in your network settings and making a new one? I've had to do that a few times when having the same issues on my Apple products and it has always worked.

Another thing to try is changing the channel on the router. It seems some of the channels work better than others.

Thanks, I have tried both of those, and I have also turned off smart connect to test, as I had read that too. The frequency of drops have decreased but it's still happening.

Update:

It turns out that there's a defined progression: works fine, starts disconnecting but not that frequent, then frequent disconnects (several times per minute).

A reboot resets the cycle. Happy to provide any info for troubleshooting.

I was having terrible issues on my AX56U after updating firmware... With just one computer - a 2010 MBA running 10.12.6.

Would not connect, regardless of what I did.

System log shows a bunch of failed attempts like this:

May 5 22:04:59 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth5: Deauth_ind MAC, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1)
May 5 22:04:59 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(499): eth5: Auth MAC, status: Successful (0)

Where MAC is the wifi adapter MAC address on that computer.

I tried rebooting, turning off by switch, and turning off by removing power. No dice. I did a reset to factory settings, and then re-established the same SSID and passphrase. Everything connects like normal.

Last edited:
I have this same issue with my MBP. I upgraded from RT-AC68U to RT-AC86U two days back and wireless has been pretty stable. Today, I converted the former as an AiMesh node and in the past hour or so, my Mac wifi got disconnected almost every minute. For the first 1hr or so, it was stable, so not sure what triggered the instability. I finally disabled smart connect and gave different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5Ghz networks and it has been stable for the past 30 minutes.

It turns out that there's a defined progression: works fine, starts disconnecting but not that frequent, then frequent disconnects (several times per minute).

Does that mean you are still facing the issue, but just less frequently?

Thanks, I have tried both of those, and I have also turned off smart connect to test, as I had read that too. The frequency of drops have decreased but it's still happening.

Did you also separate out SSIDs?