What's new

Wifi dropping.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ramz

Regular Contributor
Hello I have the AC86u which is bridged to a Rogers modem with the latest firmware. Lately my wife is complaining her laptop along with her Sumsung s10 keeps dropping wifi while she works from home. I have noticed also to on my Nvidia shield pro while streaming We lose the hardwired connection as well. All this just started to happen the last few days.

Hello I have the AC86u which is bridged to a Rogers modem with the latest firmware. Lately my wife is complaining her laptop along with her Sumsung s10 keeps dropping wifi while she works from home. I have noticed also to on my Nvidia shield pro while streaming We lose the hardwired connection as well. All this just started to happen the last few days.
There are lots of complaints about dropping wifi (esp. 2.4Ghz band) lately (not so much the hardwired). Other recent threads (if you search) have brought up this issue.

There has been no definitive solution as of yet (that I have found while searching), for what could be a universal issue, or if it's a manifestation of a particular case-by-case implementation of each home user's wi-fi. (or maybe a bit of both)

Since you're losing your internet connections on both Wi-Fi and ethernet LAN devices, the issue seems more likely to be either your router's WAN interface to the modem, the modem itself, or the coax side of your modem. It is quite common for marginal crimped coax connectors, splitters, unterminated coax connections, etc. to cause issues over time. If you call your cable company and tell them you're having some internet issues, ask them to run remote diagnostics to your Rogers modem. They can run a number of tests and loopbacks between their equipment and your modem to determine the quality of your coax signals. Signal levels, SNR, etc. They should also be able to view modem logs that might indicate marginal connections in the past.

Since you're losing your internet connections on both Wi-Fi and ethernet LAN devices, the issue seems more likely to be either your router's WAN interface to the modem, the modem itself, or the coax side of your modem. It is quite common for marginal crimped coax connectors, splitters, unterminated coax connections, etc. to cause issues over time. If you call your cable company and tell them you're having some internet issues, ask them to run remote diagnostics to your Rogers modem. They can run a number of tests and loopbacks between their equipment and your modem to determine the quality of your coax signals. Signal levels, SNR, etc. They should also be able to view modem logs that might indicate marginal connections in the past.
But why now ?never had an issue

But why now ?never had an issue
Temperature changes cause expansion & contraction, things loosen up. Weather affects outdoor items. Changes on your street could have an impact on your cable connection. Crimped connections loosen up on their own over time - ask any cable TV tech, happens to RG6 coax crimps all the time. Any number of things.

Here are a couple stories...

1) I had a marginal crimp on a CAT6 connection in a wall plate. It worked FINE for years, then all of a sudden I started getting internet drops. This connection was on a single wire INSIDE MY WALL, on the connection between my router and the modem (optical network terminal in my case). I had not touched that connection in years, it was just sitting there completely stationary inside my wall. One day I started noticing internet drops periodically. The system would eventually retrain that link and it would work "fine" again for a while. Then it would do it again a couple days later. Eventually it started happening every afternoon (when apparently the inside of my walls heated up just a little). I finally discovered that a crimp was not good; it measured about 4x the resistance of a different pair of wires. Over time that crimp "loosened up" and got worse.

2) A number of years ago my internet was through Comcast cable system. I had a similar thing happening; every once in a while the internet would drop. But no errors in my router other than "lost internet". I called Comcast and they remotely ran some diagnostics and said there was a problem and had to send out a guy to the house. When he got to the house he ran a diagnostic and could see OK signal levels but the SNR was a lot worse at my modem than it was at the street. That meant only one thing, a poor connection in my house coax network somewhere. He found it rather quickly. He replaced several of my "cheap" coax connectors and fixed my issues permanently. I had some rather low quality crimp connectors and he replaced them with more robust and weather-proof compression style connectors.

Last edited: