What's new

WiFi drops devices and won't reconnect until restart - RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just for some more nonscientific data:
I have three AC68U's - yes, they're great and rock solid.
But on a test network (backup T-Mobile Home 5G not primary fiber), .9 is experiencing issues.
Yes, I've factory reset, cleared settings, started from scratch.

386.7_2 (and actualy 386.5_2) have been much better.
I think 386.3 or .4 gave me issues in the past. So.. dunno.

Could be NVRAM filling up. Newer routers are a lot more powerful dealing with the 50+ devices in my home.

I have three AC68U's

This thread is about RT-AC86U - different hardware router and no NVRAM issues. Sometimes it has more serious issues. :)

I too, have an RT-AC86U running 386.9. I bought it three weeks ago, loaded Merlin, set up a VPN (OpenVPN), and have 10 devices connected. After three weeks, all wifi-connected devices lost their connection. Signal (w/SSID) was still visible, but nothing could connect until I issued a reboot of the router. Unfortunately, it's 200 miles away, so the idea of needing to reboot, to bring back operation, is a definite problem.

There is 386.10 available for you to test:

I too, have an RT-AC86U running 386.9. I bought it three weeks ago, loaded Merlin, set up a VPN (OpenVPN), and have 10 devices connected. After three weeks, all wifi-connected devices lost their connection. Signal (w/SSID) was still visible, but nothing could connect until I issued a reboot of the router. Unfortunately, it's 200 miles away, so the idea of needing to reboot, to bring back operation, is a definite problem.

That's probably why it was for sale. Keep an eye on the temperature as when radios/CPU start to go, it will usually start having problems when it gets warmer.