What's new

Wifi drops during Google Meet calls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Friends don't let friends use google meet - seriously...
You win the internet. GMeet is crap.
FWIW - I usually dial in on my phone, rather than using the VoIP connection with the PC - voice quality is better, latency is lower (e.g. talking over other people)
I'm the opposite. The latency on my fiber connection (mind you, my setup of Asus AX11000 > AC5300 > interwebs is risky...) is pretty low (meaning = good). I'm seeing 3ms to Frontier, and 23ms cross-country.
But, yes, for colleagues ... it's like I'm in a sci-fi movie where they break up often.
Those on phone calls with AirPods look like aliens or men with earrings...

sfx2000 I thought we were running the same Cisco WAP581 wireless APs. Have you changed?

WAP581's are on the shelf temporarily while I'm beta testing some WiFi 6E gear (NDA, but they're AP's, not all in one's)

Zoom, GTM, Webex - GTM, for long time users, they recently updated the UI, which has good and bad points - but I've rarely had drops.

ATT's VoLTE is very good out here in the San Diego area, so that's why I dial in, rather than use application VoIP.

Cox HSI for consumer lines with the various meeting apps, depends on the time of day, but they're making improvements and planning upgrades, but I've had several extended outages recently

Those on phone calls with AirPods look like aliens or men with earrings...

LOL... a lot of folks here know I'm a bit Apple centric, but I don't have AirPods (they're nice, not for me), and I don't have the Apple Watch.

Because many of the teams I work with are global in nature, we learned pretty quick that Video Bridges are a good way to have a bad experience, so mostly audio and conference host usually shares a screen with the meeting notes.

LOL... a lot of folks here know I'm a bit Apple centric, but I don't have AirPods (they're nice, not for me), and I don't have the Apple Watch.

Because many of the teams I work with are global in nature, we learned pretty quick that Video Bridges are a good way to have a bad experience, so mostly audio and conference host usually shares a screen with the meeting notes.

Maybe this is why my team has had a solid experience with Google Meet. We only do voice and share screens. I honestly like its implementation (work in browser, no software installation, easy to share with clients) over Zoom or other video conferencing solutions.

This is exactly the problem I am having as well.
Did the changes you made to the router fix the issue?

Has anyone ever experienced an issue specifically when on a Google Meet call where the call drops for a second or two almost every time you're on a call?

I've got a MTR test running permanently on my screen so I can see when my connection drops out and like clockwork, if I'm on a Google Meet call for long enough, the call will drop out at some point for about a second or two and the MTR test shows no replies from the router for those two seconds. Once reconnected it's fine for a while again.

Seems to be fairly consistent with being on calls and I can see the MTR test never fails in general while browsing the internet.

I know this is a long shot but has anyone else ever seen this specific behaviour?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!