What's new

Wifi Enabling NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gregplc40

New Around Here
Greetings!

I have recently purchased a nice NAS for my home office. Unfortunately getting wired Ethernet to it from my home router is more challenging than I thought. I have a Buffalo TeraStation 1400R NAS. I am wondering if there is anyway I can get it on my wireless home network? It has USB ports, so I'm wondering if there is anyway I can use a USB to Ethernet Wifi adapter on it. Or am I better off just throwing a cheap wifi router directly on the unit and wirelessly bridge the two routers?

TIA,

Greg

Why not try HomePlugs?

Also check with Buffalo if they support Wifi interfaces. Some NAS like QNAP's actually support them.

Greetings!

I have recently purchased a nice NAS for my home office. Unfortunately getting wired Ethernet to it from my home router is more challenging than I thought. I have a Buffalo TeraStation 1400R NAS. I am wondering if there is anyway I can get it on my wireless home network? It has USB ports, so I'm wondering if there is anyway I can use a USB to Ethernet Wifi adapter on it. Or am I better off just throwing a cheap wifi router directly on the unit and wirelessly bridge the two routers?

TIA,

Greg
I believe the stock firmware limits the usb ports to external drives/printers.

It is possible to install Debian on these devices which would allow you to do anything you'd like with the usb port including adding a wireless adapter.

If you are interested, the installer and instructions can be found at:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo