What's new

Wifi gone and other problems with RT-AC86U and latest Merlin 386.1_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddarek65

New Around Here
Hi,
I bought new RT-AC86U and was happy to see it in action. After unboxing I made base settings and all seems to work including lights, LAN, wifi separated mode 2.4 and 5 and this special Auto mode. I've been reading up on different firmwares and wanted to try how it would work with Merlin.
And it began :) . I have spent hours to change methods to update it. Normal via Administration>Upload simply didn't work. So LAN, WiFi, diff Lap, diff browsers etc etc. Ok finally I managed to upgrade to latest Merlin with ASUS Utility and Restoration method.

Situation is as follows
- Lights on front panel
One works - from unuoccupied slot. Rest is off, including power, wifi indicators, occupied Lan slots
- WiFi
Not working. Cant find any wifi. Router is not listing any attached equipment
- Strange behavior
Each time I change any settings inside I have to start welcome process with giving all data to my ISP, naming WiFi and giving password to router (really I have to do that?). Router is loosing my credentials to ISP, named WiFi etc. Sucks
- LAN
Works like a charm. Router listing attached equipment but as above lights on front panel are off

So from many aspects it is a complete failure
Any ideas?

Restoring original firmware I assume is reverse process with Restoration I have made for Merlin version. :( (Don't want to give up with Merlin)

Last edited:
When logged in to the GUI, up the top there should be a green wifi icon along with other icons for guest network, network and USB. If not lit and no LED activity on case then yeah, most likely the radios are cooked.

I had near same situation last week except in my case only the 2.4Ghz died on an AC88u. Did a firmware upgrade and started from scratch to set up a USB for running scripts only to discover the 2.4Ghz activity was dead.

After much googling for solutions it became evident that this is a common occurrence with Asus whereby 1 or both the radios cease to operate. The cause, unknown.

When logged in to the GUI, up the top there should be a green wifi icon along with other icons for guest network, network and USB. If not lit and no LED activity on case then yeah, most likely the radios are cooked.

I had near same situation last week except in my case only the 2.4Ghz died on an AC88u. Did a firmware upgrade and started from scratch to set up a USB for running scripts only to discover the 2.4Ghz activity was dead.

After much googling for solutions it became evident that this is a common occurrence with Asus whereby 1 or both the radios cease to operate. The cause, unknown.
Leds are dead , icon is grey. So service or return to shop ?

The question might be whether its more time efficient to go straight to trying another AC86U, or continuing to assess this AC86U. I would revert to stock firmware, do a reset, and reconfigure a basic setup. If that doesn't work, then I'd return it and try another AC86U.

I tried so far different methods to restore stock firmware but without success.
Hard resets with WPA, soft resets , restoring stock firmware.
Still in point of entry - WiFi doesn't work neither LEDs

Then sounds like that at this point, its less effort to return it and get another AC86U. It is a good router. I have four that were all bought at different times, and all have worked flawlessly for me.

I tried so far different methods to restore stock firmware but without success.
Hard resets with WPA, soft resets , restoring stock firmware.
Still in point of entry - WiFi doesn't work neither LEDs
Agree with MBT, return it. You've wasted a lot of time on it. Even if you got it working, I wouldn't trust it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!