What's new

WiFi on my phone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kate

New Around Here
For a long time I've been wondering, can WiFi and mobile Internet on my phone be turned on at the same time? I noticed that in this case the Internet works worse, is there an explanation or is it a coincidence?
I apologize if I am asking a question in the wrong section.

Most phones work that way and will switch between cell and Wi-Fi. Many will even do Wi-Fi calling.

It depends on a few factors but I have noticed this can happen if you use 3g cell with this mix, 4g cell and wifi did not show this 'issue'. It may also be an ipv6 thing of your cellphone, mixing ipv6 cell with ipv4 wifi could be a problem.

I haven't seen a mainstream phone that *COULDN'T* connect to WiFi *and* cellular data at the same time in over 10 years. Are you saying you manually shut one service off and the other on all the time?

I have even seen (or looked for) the option the specify "prefer WiFi over Data" in a decade, or if it exists anymore.

Typically, at least in my experience, you setup both. If WiFi is available (you have network credentials), it will be used. If there is an issue, then the automatic fallback is to use your carriers data services. This is to save you on data charges. Some apps or functions can be restricted so they are locked in one mode or the other (Google play for example) so that updates won't eat into you paid data limits.

Using LTE and WiFi for a single app isn't possible.

You can have LTE and WiFi turned on at the same time, of course.

If having the LTE connection on is causing the WiFi performance to suffer, it is time for a new phone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!