What's new

WIFI repeater advice !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tagan

New Around Here
Hi,

sorry to disturb I would need an advice for a WIFI repeater or maybe even a powerline advice for a private home use.

My router is Technicolor DGA 4132

Hardware
  • CPU: BROADCOM 63138 (ARM A9 DUAL CORE 1GHZ)
  • RAM1: SK HYNIX H5TQ4G63EFR 4GBIT(512MB) DDR3-1866 13-23-13
WIFI: QUANTENNA QT3840BC + QT25188

2.4GHZ 300MBPS 802.11N - 20/40 MHZ (2X2 MIMO)

5GHZ 1733MBPS 802.11AC - 20/40/80 MHZ (4X4 MU-MIMO) BEAMFORMING

I am using 5GHZ WIFI and would like to ask for any devices on the market that are available and would be recommendable in combo with this router?

Router is in private home at first floor, covering also ground floor ( of course not at a good as first floor) but unfortunately no signal reception in basement at all.

Is there something that is truly a good product?

I have Omnia Turris routers but their WIFI is not comparable with Technicolor DGA 4132, still I run Pi-hole on Samsung MSATA on Omnia but don´t know to combine it Technicolor DGA 4132. Something with DNS entries has to set correctly and probably Technicolor would have to run as bridge, also no problem, but I lose it´s great WIFI and if having two routers I have double NAT and that´s not desirable.

thank you very much

Hi,

sorry to disturb I would need an advice for a WIFI repeater or maybe even a powerline advice for a private home use.

My router is Technicolor DGA 4132

Hardware
  • CPU: BROADCOM 63138 (ARM A9 DUAL CORE 1GHZ)
  • RAM1: SK HYNIX H5TQ4G63EFR 4GBIT(512MB) DDR3-1866 13-23-13
WIFI: QUANTENNA QT3840BC + QT25188

2.4GHZ 300MBPS 802.11N - 20/40 MHZ (2X2 MIMO)

5GHZ 1733MBPS 802.11AC - 20/40/80 MHZ (4X4 MU-MIMO) BEAMFORMING

I am using 5GHZ WIFI and would like to ask for any devices on the market that are available and would be recommendable in combo with this router?

Router is in private home at first floor, covering also ground floor ( of course not at a good as first floor) but unfortunately no signal reception in basement at all.

Is there something that is truly a good product?

I have Omnia Turris routers but their WIFI is not comparable with Technicolor DGA 4132, still I run Pi-hole on Samsung MSATA on Omnia but don´t know to combine it Technicolor DGA 4132. Something with DNS entries has to set correctly and probably Technicolor would have to run as bridge, also no problem, but I lose it´s great WIFI and if having two routers I have double NAT and that´s not desirable.

thank you very much

Just FYI while a double NAT setup might not be ideal for simplicity it doesn't have a measurable impact on your latency or speeds except perhaps if you have a gig connection then it might have an impact.

If you don't have a purpose to use a double NAT setup then you would probably be best served by setting up a hard wired AP. A repeater should be a solution of last resort.

Hardwire to the basement over CAT5e or 6 if possible or coax (RG59 or RG6 using MOCA) if available, powerline is next best choice. If you have to use wireless, you may have to dedicate a radio band on each wireless AP/router to the relay and use the other band (5 GHz ) for local wireless on each floor.

If you have to use wireless ...
... it's not the worst thing in the world.

I'm not "recommending" the Netgear 6150 per se but it's what I happen to have and it does work. Wireless repeaters/extenders got a (deservedly) bad rap some years ago because they were single band. With dual band, well, what Netgear does with "fast lane" is dedicate one radio to talk to the router while the second radio talks with the clients. Linksys does similar with its "cross connect" which looks to see which radio the client is using and automatically uses the other radio to talk with the router.

(With single band the client talks, then the repeater "shuts down" while it relays to the router effectively "halving" your speed.)​

You'd have to play some. One extender might do the job; e.g., one on the ground floor might help out both the ground floor and the basement. Or one on the ground floor and a second one in the basement (if you have one on the ground floor it's oft fairly easy to punch a hole in the floor and feed a wire into the basement thus the 2nd one could easily be wired).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!