What's new

WiFi router or AP and switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cloudbuster

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

The ISP router don't have Ethernet ports, I need to connect more devices by Ethernet in that location.
It seem that most routers only have 4 ports I saw this one with 8 the Asus RT-AC88U.

But also considering the Ubiquiti AP as I have always read good things about them. Unifi UAP-AC-HD and a switch.

I have a Asus RT-AC86U I would not use AI mesh if I get another ASUS.
The RT-AC86U is on the front of the house by Ethernet. The ISP router is by the back of the house, Right now the RT-AC86U pretty much cover the whole house(2500 sq) But having another wifi router on the back of the house wont be bad as it would be closer to the rooms.
The farthest room I have full signal but only get 20 mb, upstairs the bonus room full signal only get 25-30 MB.

I have 31 devices connected to the RT-AC86U between wifi and ethernet.
I have a 100 MB cable ISP, would upgrade to 1 GB Fiber later on.

Internet here is mostly used for youtube, netflix no work from home.
have all king of devices, tablets, computer, media boxes Nvidia shield, amazon alexas, wifi cameras.

Edit: Location for the new device would be behind the TV where the ISP router is located no ceiling install.

Any advice welcome,
Thanks.

Last edited:
I see you've been uh underwhelmed with replies. Let's start with your opening statement;
The ISP router don't have Ethernet ports
Since you've already "wired up" an Asus I assume you are simply "out of" Ethernet ports? Basic gigabit switches are really really cheap to affordable. Start with one of those rather than simply buying a new router because it has more ports.

Last edited:
So your issues are: 1) switch ports and 2) wifi range.

Ports - If you need more at the router's location, then @Klueless 's suggestion is the easiest and cheapest. Simply buy an unmanaged gigabit switch with however many ports you need, and plug it into one of the LAN ports of the 86U. Done. (If you need more wired ports in another room, you'd need to wire ethernet or do MoCa adapter if there's running from router location to desired switch location)

Wifi - If it's only general internet access you're looking to deliver, then general repeating will work well enough (in most cases). I'd say a cheap dual-radio all-in-one running in repeater mode or purpose-built AP that offers universal repeating would be your easiest solution. Perhaps a DD-WRT compatible router, or a purpose-built product like a $50 TP-Link RE300. Total available wireless bandwidth from the repeater will be cut in half, but should still offer close to the 100Mb/s of your ISP's internet speed, provided the AP-to-AP link is done on 5Ghz and the repeating AP is placed well to grab enough signal from the 86U.

For your 1Gig upgrade, you're going to want to connect your second AP by wire (either by ethernet or MoCa 2.5 adapters over coaxial), as opposed to wireless repeating. This will ensure the wireless bandwidth is not cut in half, as all radios will be used to transmit directly to clients (no longer wasting bandwidth maintaining the link between APs). Happy to get into how to build this out if you'd like.

The OP mentioned the ISP's "router". I assumed it was wireless but perhaps not. And, perhaps, it's not even a router, maybe just a "modem"?
In any case I like your low cost, no frills suggestion.
product like a $50 TP-Link RE300. Total available wireless bandwidth from the repeater will be cut in half, but should still offer close to the 100Mb/s of your ISP's internet speed, provided the AP-to-AP link is done on 5Ghz and the repeating AP is placed well to grab enough signal from the 86U
I've used the simple Netgear 6150 before. I like the "fast lane" feature. It allows you to dedicate one radio to clients and the other as the back haul to the router. While this eliminates the "halving" it's probably a "wash" as you're limited to 2.4 GHz speeds. On the plus side it has an Ethernet port which would allow it to be wired up as an AP as some future point.

No sure if I understood well - did you mean you don't have available ethernet ports on ISP modem, or it does not have any?

Could you for test switch Asus to AP mode, connect it to ISP modem and place it in planned location (behind TV) - it will give you good idea about wifi coverage from this location.

Regarding AP - I would suggest something like AC-HD, but these APs are designed mainly to be placed on a ceiling.... + WAF factor applies...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!