What's new

wifi setting on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

naper82

Occasional Visitor
I installed 384.17 on RT-AC68U with hard reset a few days ago. There are 4 wired devices and about 30 wireless devices (mostly smart plugs/bulbs). I have minimum setting except the wifi 2.4 Ghz setting as stated in this old thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/guide-troubleshooting-wifi-issues.12825/

Due to this, you should set channel width to 20 MHz on that band. A 40 MHz connection would require you to overlap no less than 5 channels. Highly unlikely you will get a reliable 40 MHz connection in any urban area with so many channels overlapping. Yes, it will cut your maximum performance in half, but if you want a STABLE connection on the 2.4 GHz band, there is little you can do about this. Otherwise, the 5 GHz band is your only solution.

Does this still hold true? The wifi speed is much slower than default 20/40 MHz though.

I have experienced wifi drop a few times, mainly during a online meeting calls, there were a few seconds drop and then connect back. I've tried restart the modem and router. Is this version 384.17 stable enough or should I try a previous version(please recommend one)? How can I troubleshoot to find out if issue on my router or ISP?

Thanks!

Does this still hold true?

Yes, and it will become increasingly relevant, as the 2.4 GHz band will continue to get even more oversaturated, making it impossible for anyone to monopolize a whole 40 MHz chunk of the whole band spectrum available.

I can't reliably use 2.4 where I live, WiFi Analyzer looks like a straight line there's so much congestion, individual users are difficult to pick out sometimes. 5g works fine though, fortunately.

Yes, and it will become increasingly relevant, as the 2.4 GHz band will continue to get even more oversaturated, making it impossible for anyone to monopolize a whole 40 MHz chunk of the whole band spectrum available.

Thanks. What do you suggest I start to troubleshooting?

I can't reliably use 2.4 where I live, WiFi Analyzer looks like a straight line there's so much congestion, individual users are difficult to pick out sometimes. 5g works fine though, fortunately.
5g is super but there are devices that doesn't support 5g yet. Also coverage is short :(

To put the bandwidth issue to a test I monitored my Internet connection via the graphs built into your firmware for my AC68U. While my wife was on a Zoom session the upstream and downstream feed rarely exceeded 60kBps (round that to 500 kbps). Not exactly a strain even on 2.4GHz/20M.