What's new

Wifi signal drops suddenly on RT-N66U( merlin firmware )

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnantonio

New Around Here
I have an issue with RT-N66U which runs the merlin firmware 380.63

While there are several devices connected to the 2.4 GH Wifi connection, suddenly WIFI stops working on one of the devices( it can be any of them, smartphone or ipad)

The device is still connected to the 2.4 ghz network but the internet isn't working.
The issue is resolved when I toggle the wifi ON/OFF or reconnect to the same network, in a matter of seconds. This happens 3 or 4 times per day.

When the Wifi signal drops on one particular device, the other devices that run on the same network run perfectly fine.

Both 2.4 and 5 GHZ networks are active, but all devices are connected on 2.4Ghz.
( 2 ipads, 1 laptop, 2 smartphones) .

As suggested here on the forums, I changed the "DHCP query frequency" setting from "aggressive" to "normal", with no results.

The sudden WIFi drop was also happening on the original firmware.

My internet provider is : RCS RDS Romania

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from RMerlin user.

Printscreen of a recent Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xeibk1j6wsx0pwl/log.jpg?dl=0

Try setting the 2.4 GHz to a fixed channel, non overlapping, and 20 mhz bandwidth.

I had this kind of issue long time ago: The solution was to factory reset the router and do an absolute minimal configuration: leave everything on default in WLAN setting that you do not absolutely need to change (e.g. do not touch the professional page settings).

Since then I am fine and do not have any WLAN issues (on my both routers).

And yes, follow also the advise from @bbunge!

Setup a new SSID and see if the same issue occurs.

I am having the same issue but since 380.64_1/2 not with 380.64_0. I have 2.4 and 5 GHz network and only on the 2.4 GHz side about 3 times a day all the devices loose connection and cannot reconnect. On the 5 GHz band everything is fine. I downgraded to 380.64_0 and it works fine again.

When I open the client list I first see all devices (2,4 GHz, 5 GHz and LAN) and then suddenly all 2,4 GHz devices disappear.

Now I am testing the 380.65 Beta.

Last edited:
This was happening to me two years ago. My Netgear router would loose 2.4 connections. So, I purchased a new router and the same thing happened to that one and the next three new routers. I then bought a RT-N66R and that was better but the 2.4 would still drop. Then one night when my desktop was powered down I noticed the 2.4 was working very well! Powered up the desktop and the 2.4 quit. The desktop is connected with cat5. Seems that my HDMI graphics card was causing interference. Sounds hokey but replacing the graphics card fixed the problem!
So, check for external interference sources. I have tested my N66R with new Merlin fw with no issues.

Very interesting. My son just upgraded his Windows based PC to new mainboard, CPU, RAM and a GForce 1070. I will check this. But he is not physically connected to the ASUS RT-N66U. He is using an AVM repeater that is connected through the 2,4 GHz WiFi to the ASUS router. His PC is physically connected by a cat5 cable to the repeater only.

So if now when testing 380.65 Beta1 on the ASUS router only he has this problem your information may be very helpfull for me.

... physically connected by a cat5 cable to the repeater only.
You should avoid CAT5 cables with the Asus routers - some are reacting very strange with them! :eek:
Use CAT6 (not a big difference in price) or at least CAT5e! :rolleyes:

Just checked, it's rated cat5e. But it's the cable from the AVM repeater to the PC ;-).

At the ASUS router I only have my Time Machine connected by a cat5e cable and a netgear switch no other devices. This is working flawlessly since years.

Just checked, it's rated cat5e. But it's the cable from the AVM repeater to the PC ;-).

At the ASUS router I only have my Time Machine connected by a cat5e cable and a netgear switch no other devices. This is working flawlessly since years.
I doubt it is the cable. I have two cat 5 and two 5e connected to my router with no problems. Both cat 5 get gig connections.

Me too.

My sons Computer is on again and the problem reappears even with Beta1 380.65. So I downgraded to 380.64_0 and tested again and what can I say up to now... it works.

It would be very surprising to me if the new components of my sons PC would be the problem because it is not physically connected to the router only to a repeater of the routers 2.4 GHz net.

When the routers 2.4 GHz net is dead I can see the SSID but no device can connect to it and on the client list of the router interface all 2.4 GHz devices disappear. Very suspicious.