What's new

WiFi speed drop with Asus AiMesh when roaming back to main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WhiteZero

Occasional Visitor
Wondering if anyone has heard of something like this happening.

My wife and I both have a Galaxy S21, which support WiFi 6, and see the same problem. I have two Asus AX86U routers setup as a Mesh with ethernet backhaul (2.5Gbit line). The really strange thing is you can roam from the main router to the mesh node and get full speed, but when roaming back to the main router our phones max out at like 24mbit (sometimes as low as 2mbit), even though WiFi status shows a link speed of 600+ on 5Ghz (verified with system wifi settings and WiFi Man). Turning wifi off and back on fixes the problem until you roam around again. We have gigabit fiber and usually get 600 to 700mbit over wifi with good signal.

I've tested this on an older Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and it doesn't see the same problem, so it seems to just be our S21's. They are also the only wifi 6 devices in the house, so I guess it could be a bug with that on the router side if it isn't a problem on the phone's side. However I have reported the problem to Samsung and they only came back to me saying "contact your service provider" lol. Wondering if anyone else around here has an S21 or other device with the same problem. Still trying to sus out if it's a problem on Samsung or Asus' side. I think it also seems to mostly only happen if you roam while the phone's screen is off. So maybe the phone or router is thinking it needs to keep the device in a low-power state for Wifi.

You can see in these screenshots the PHY rate is very high, but the actual speed test when roaming back to the main router is super low. Screenshots

Edit:Tested with an older Samsung tablet and a Windows laptop, neither showed this issue. So thinking it's a bug with the S21's, so I'm submitting another report to Samsung. Though they are still the only WiFi 6 devices on my network too...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!