What's new

Wifi Speed question.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

antec

New Around Here
I have the following setup:

Bell 3Gb Up/Down service with Gigahub HH4000

Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12 (1 Node only) Plugged into the 10gb port on the HH4000.

Speed test done on the Asus via app come in on average 2300mbs.

Clients:

2020 MacBook Air and 2020 iPad Pro connected to 5ghz.

When I do a speediest with the Air I see 700-850mbs

When I do a speediest with the iPad I see 700-850mbs

When a speed test is done with the 2 devices at the same time the combined speed is approximately 700-800mbs. Why is it not closer to 1.4 / 1.6gbs?

Because this is not how Wi-Fi works. The maximum throughput is to all clients, not to each one. If you test with 4x identical clients you'll get 200Mbps to each with the same aggregate throughput. Without checking the exact specs your iProdicts have common 2-stream AX radio with 80MHz wide channel support and connect at 1200Mbps maximum link speed.

Thanks @Tech9 for the reply, here are the specs of the router: Asus Specs . Are you saying that if I were to connect 2 more equivalent devices that my download speed would never exceed 700-850 combined.. ie 4-streams? if that's the case then the Linksys MX5500 that I have for wireless client is sufficient.

What I'm saying is your two clients listed above will work in exactly the same way when connected to Asus ET12 for $370 and to TP-Link AX21 for $80 because the client is the limitation. Most AX clients are 2-stream and Apple products don't support MU-MIMO and 160MHz wide channel. Why? Because MU-MIMO is limited to small number of clients only and has virtually no benefits on a home setup, 160MHz wide channel is not guaranteed to work and 850Mbps throughput to a phone or tablet is more than enough. Devices like this have nothing to do with Gigabit connection. You may have to think why you're paying for something you can't really use. At least not with the equipment and the clients you have.