What's new

Wifi speed slow with a protectli(pfsense) and r7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johan1974NL

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have a protectli Vault (4ports) and a R7000 router (Configures as AP)
My ISP is a fiber connection 1GBps.

I notice the wifi speed is very slow.

Are there any settings within the r7000 i can check to improve the wifi speed?

Thanks!

Ok can i move this message or do I need to rewrite?

I notice the wifi speed is very slow.

What is very slow in numbers and on what band, 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Realistic expectations - R7000 can do about 500Mbps to common 2-stream AC client (5GHz, 80MHz) and about 90Mbps to 2-stream N client (2.4GHz, 20MHz), if the clients are close to the router and link speeds are at maximum 866Mbps (5GHz) and 144Mbps (2.4GHz).

Last edited:
What is very slow in numbers and on what band, 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Realistic expectations - R7000 can do about 500Mbps to common 2-stream AC client (5GHz, 80MHz) and about 90Mbps to 2-stream N client (2.4GHz, 20MHz), if the clients are close to the router and link speeds are at maximum 866Mbps (5GHz) and 144Mbps (2.4GHz).
both my R7000 and R7800 w/ cfw only get 450-505mbps @ 8ft on 5ghz. and only get 98-101mbps @ 8ft on 2.4ghz. I dont know why I can not get more on the 2.4ghz when the ch. that is least congested is used and only have set the settings to only N and 40wide bandwith

You might consider switching to an AP that does ax/160. I can get a combined 1.5gbps by bonding 2.4/5 using an ax411 card.

I dont know why I can not get more on the 2.4ghz

Because this is what 802.11n can do on 2.4GHz. 100Mbps is more than I can get in my Wi-Fi environments. At my house I get about 90Mbps to 2-stream client with 144Mbps link speed. At my downtown apartment I'm lucky to get 40Mbps. Use 5GHz for all high bandwidth devices, leave 2.4GHz for slow devices and IoT. Use 20MHz wide channel on 2.4GHz. No need to occupy the entire spectrum. You only create more interference for no reason.

ch. that is least congested

How do you know? If you are using Wi-Fi Analyzer type app - it doesn't show available bandwidth per channel. It only shows how many AP use the channel, but not how active they are. This is a common mistake when selecting the best channel. And again - use 20MHz wide on 2.4GHz band.

Because this is what 802.11n can do on 2.4GHz. 100Mbps is more than I can get in my Wi-Fi environments. At my house I get about 90Mbps to 2-stream client with 144Mbps link speed. At my downtown apartment I'm lucky to get 40Mbps. Use 5GHz for all high bandwidth devices, leave 2.4GHz for slow devices and IoT. Use 20MHz wide channel on 2.4GHz. No need to occupy the entire spectrum. You only create more interference for no reason.

How do you know? If you are using Wi-Fi Analyzer type app - it doesn't show available bandwidth per channel. It only shows how many AP use the channel, but not how active they are. This is a common mistake when selecting the best channel. And again - use 20MHz wide on 2.4GHz band.
Yes i use, more than one app, but they're all seem to show the same channels used. Is there another app i can use for available bandwidth with in a particular channel?