What's new

WiFi speed test confusion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizzard

Regular Contributor
I have Netgear 3 node Orbi connected directly to ONT at 500 / 70 package. I get almost full 500 / 70 speeds on Ethernet connection to my PC.

However, testing with Ookla, my Pixel 6 (WiFi 6E compatible) gives me 160 / 70 on my ISP site as well as some other sites Ookla chooses automatically. If I choose Swish, Vodafone UK, iDnet, Trooli etc. I get 400+ / 70.

Should the site matter? Are some of these using 10gb connections, and finally, is there an alternative to Ookla Tester?

you are going across multiple hops over the internet, the server is handling more than your test traffic, your local wifi RF environment changes (neighbors, devices), etc, etc, etc. As you saw speed tests over the internet are only vaguely indicative. if you want to test, then use iperf locally between two devices that can run it.

Your hardwired test locally will tell you more about your internal lan. Without full control of the wifi environment, it is very difficult to get anything other than this is what it was doing at this minute.

you are going across multiple hops over the internet, the server is handling more than your test traffic, your local wifi RF environment changes (neighbors, devices), etc, etc, etc. As you saw speed tests over the internet are only vaguely indicative. if you want to test, then use iperf locally between two devices that can run it.

Your hardwired test locally will tell you more about your internal lan. Without full control of the wifi environment, it is very difficult to get anything other than this is what it was doing at this minute.

Many thanks for this - appreciated. So, from this, there is no definitive way to check the WiFi speed I am getting on my mobile phone at home? Also, do I install iperf as a server on my PC and then check on my mobile?

Many thanks for this - appreciated. So, from this, there is no definitive way to check the WiFi speed I am getting on my mobile phone at home? Also, do I install iperf as a server on my PC and then check on my mobile?
you can look at the link rate the device is using to connect to the AP and get an upper bound at that moment. If it feels fast enough on you mobile device, then it is ok. More than that is just bragging rights over soda for home users.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!