What's new

Wifi Upload not limited by QoS on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skowt

Occasional Visitor
Noticed while testing Bufferbloat that my hardwired devices respected the QoS upload and download limits I set but wifi users (testing on both 5GHz and 2.4) did not. Running on a Fiber connection using PPPoe.
Has anyone come across this before?

Download is correctly tracked:
nKTCB5O.png

Upload doesn't register:
UdVWxZB.png

Interface setup:
tGmwFSX.png

QoS Rules:
I3NkB53.png

Apologies for all the images! Hoping the more detail given, the better my chances are of getting QoS working smoothly on my router.

The QoS Adaptative doesn't has brandwidth limit, the values you put there are for the proportional distribution between services, but if you have just 1 client with 1 service and it asks 100% of brandwitdh it will receive 100%, specially if it has maximum priority.

The QoS Adaptative doesn't has brandwidth limit, the values you put there are for the proportional distribution between services, but if you have just 1 client with 1 service and it asks 100% of brandwitdh it will receive 100%.

It definitely DOES bandwidth limit (in both directions). What it doesn't do out of the box is the proportional bandwidth distribution you mention. I had to make modifications to the out of the box parameters to get that working properly.

OP stated it was correctly limiting his traffic on WIRED devices and working as expected.
The issue is that his WIRELESS upload traffic is not being detected by QOS at all.

I think it is a routing issue with wireless uploading traffic going through the wrong interface instead of a traffic control rule issue as wired traffic is being correctly detected.

Unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge of how to correct the routing table.

Upload has to pass through eth0 to be traffic managed. It probably is not.

Last edited:
Been looking at ways of possibly forwarding the interface through eth0 but when monitoring ifconfig I'm seeing traffic on multiple interfaces even when comparing a wired connection doing a speedtest to wifi. Not sure which connection is the 'real' one. It's also suspicious that this works with traditional QoS but not with Adaptive. Frustrating.

Just an update, I've tested the last 3 firmware versions over the weekend and no joy:

3.0.0.4.382_18848
Adaptive QoS limits not working for Upload on Wired or Wifi.

3.0.0.4.384_10007
Adaptive QoS limits for Upload working on Wired. Upload limits do not work on Wifi.

3.0.0.4.384_20308
Adaptive QoS limits still work on Wired for Upload but still don’t work on Wifi.

Noticed that from the 3rd last to the second Upload limits started working on Wired, so there's definitely been changes but no joy in the last two versions for Wifi upload limits. Seriously find it strange that I'm the only person experiencing these issues. Unless I'm the only person on these forums using a PPPoE connection over Fibre?

If I can still not get this working in the next few days I think I'll get a refund and go for a Netgear or an Asus that can take custom firmware (looking at you gargoyle). So ironic how high spec this router is but that a core feature is bugged. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the adaptive qos works as expected for my ac3100 and ac68.
try do a power cycle by power off 30+ sec, hold wps button while power on and wait till the power led start blinking.
that's what I normally do when I experience weird stuff switching between official / merlin firmware or when there is major update.

it often solves those kinda weird issue that normal reboot/quick factory reset not fixes, so give that a try and hope it helps

and to test bufferbloat, http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
works better than speedtest, at least for me

Last edited:
the adaptive qos works as expected for my ac3100 and ac68.
try do a power cycle by power off 30+ sec, hold wps button to power on and wait till the power led start blinking.
that's what I normally do when I experience weird stuff switching between official / merlin firmware or when there is major update.

it often solves those kinda weird issue that normal reboot/quick factory reset not fixes, so give that a try and hope it helps

and to test bufferbloat, http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
works better than speedtest, at least for me

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to try it and give it another go (after a number of resets) but what is there to lose really! Fingers crossed. Also going to try manually erase the nvram to see if that helps at all.

Aaaaand update, no luck. Even with a hard triple super duper reset. All the values are reset but QoS on Adaptive is stubborn. No dice on Wifi limits.

Ironically I ended up switching to Traditional QoS, with my Mac set to Highest priority. It's correctly slowing down other devices for upload but not download.

Just.Can't.Win.

that's unfortunately, besides the different model, the only difference that I notice is that you have PPPoE where I am basically just auto IP from my ISP. My router is properly capping the limited that I set to; wired or wireless, download or upload. Might want to check/ask in the asuswrt forum https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-official.51/ since you also test with the official firmware. If I am correct, there are some asus employee there to help, they will probably be more helpful than I am. Good luck.

Minor thread bump. Same issue being experienced here, where my many WiFi clients skirt the rules for uploads and the traffic just isn’t recognised.

Thanks, can we assume Merlin will incorporate this into his FW once Asus has released this for the AC86U? I have this issue.

Thanks, can we assume Merlin will incorporate this into his FW once Asus has released this for the AC86U? I have this issue.
I'm hoping, rather than assuming so, but have asked the question in the thread linked above.

Due to being away from home for a period, I've not reverted to the stock beta to test this fix out (currently on Merlin). I was hoping to get some clarification to @arthurlien , from an 86U standpoint at least.

Has anybody tried the wifi upload in QoS to see how this plays out?