1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

WikiDevi shutting down 10/31/2019

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by sfx2000, Oct 1, 2019.

1. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

FYI... impending loss of a great resource...

It's a terrible loss to the community... hopefully someone picks up the reigns to continue the site...

2. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Site may already be gone. Couldn't raise it just now.
    It has been a great resource, but was definitely a labor of love.

3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Sad news indeed.

To my shame :oops: I "saw" that message the other day but only glanced at the beginning of it and thought "oh, it'll be going down for maintenance". It didn't register that it was permanent.

Maybe TechInfoDepot could buy the domain name and use it as a redirector (WikiDevi is much easier to remember).

4. Trip

Trip Very Senior Member

There's enough interest through the OpenWRT community that I wouldn't be surprised if it gets transplanted in pretty short order. I wouldn't expect it to remain down for all that long.

5. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

Definitely a huge loss. It was one of those sites that I never knew I needed until I found it.

6. RTN

RTN Regular Contributor

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/index.php/Main_Page ;)

The database and history of edits have been saved so far on a temporary hosting.
    Now there is a search for permanent hosting and any help is welcome, including donation.

7. thiggins

I would be willing to permanently host the site. But without updates, its usefulness would be limited, no?

RTN likes this.
  8. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

I agree that ideally, it would have to be an actual Wiki (so people would be able to update its content), not just a static archive.

RTN likes this.
  9. thiggins

I never could figure out what the motivation was of the person(s) who created and maintained WikiDevi, other than a labor of love. It's a LOT of work to get product details.

madhatter01 likes this.
  10. RTN

RTN Regular Contributor

The base is deployed by the developer Wive-NG (sfstudio), it will be possible to discuss the possibility of hosting with him.
    I am a moderator of wl500g.info (Omega) and have been constantly updating WikiDevi pages and tables for 5 years;)
    Now I am also updating the new WikiDevi database, added links to alternative firmware on the main page.
    If it is possible to host WikiDevi on your hosting, you can discuss the transfer of the database in private messages.

L&LD likes this.
  11. madhatter01

madhatter01 Regular Contributor

WikiDevi was a amazing site. I would of love to donate to them to keep it going.

RTN likes this.
  12. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Wondering - what would be the costs to maintain something like WikiDevi...

I can see the utility for a limited audience, mostly developers, and there, it might be something more oriented towards the OpenWRT team, which also needs support.

13. thiggins

Hosting itself if relatively cheap unless the site gets huge traffic, which I don't think is the case.

It costs more to secure the site, keep it updated, monitor it and deal with the hassles of constant doorknob rattling.

I rethought this and decided to not pursue hosting.

avtella and L&LD like this.