What's new

Will 160 MHz B/W increase my throughput?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sachb

Thank you for an amazing write up, I have one small question to ask you.

My router is placed in the Hall (R7800 X4s) and achieves a max speed upto 532 mbps & My D-Link DAP 1860 is in the Room which is 6 m away from the router.

I have bought the D-link DAP 1860 4x4 MU-MIMO wifi Extender, while it recieves the Full signal from my Netgear R7800 AC, it's transmitting the data, to about 230 mbps which is placed in the room.

I have tried hard wired connection to DAP-1860 and achieved 532 mbps (Full speed), the same speed which I achieve in the hall connecting to R7800.

The DAP 1860 transmits on the same channel i.e 48 to the clients.

But if I connect to my DAP-1860 wirelessly, it only achieves 230 mbps and went upto 280 mbps max on speed test. Do you think Enabling the R7800 to 160 mhz may increase the throughput ?

The DAP-1860 also has to support 160 MHz B/W. I don't know if it does. Check the spec.

The other factor is that your region/country may not support enough 5 GHz channels to support a 160 MHz channel.

The easiest thing is to try it and see.

The DAP-1860 also has to support 160 MHz B/W. I don't know if it does. Check the spec.

The other factor is that your region/country may not support enough 5 GHz channels to support a 160 MHz channel.

The easiest thing is to try it and see.

I tried it right now, and now i'm getting around 260 mbps -280 mbps, frequently, instead of 230-250 mbps. So small improvement also counts. The Netgear R7800 X4s is indeed a powerful device minimizing speed loss across distance that too across 2-3 concrete walls in between.

The Netgear R7800 X4s is indeed a powerful device minimizing speed loss across distance that too across 2-3 concrete walls in between.
Indeed! I'm testing a used Netgear R7800 X4s that I picked up cheaply. Based on what I had read, I was expecting it to be decent. But I wasn't expecting it to actually blow away current flagship routers in throughput and range--But that's exactly what it did!
I would not have even looked at such an old model, if I didn't see Tim recommending it here recently (still after all these years).

Yes, the interface is dated. And it's showing it's age with lots of software-based quirks. I can see it not being everyone's "cup of tea" because of that. Asus router software makes Netgear's look amateurish. But for my needs, and for what I paid (~$100), it's totally a keeper. I'm glad I spent some time here reading...it saved me from blowing $300-$400 on some "flagship" router that wouldn't have really netted me any better performance!

Indeed! I'm testing a used Netgear R7800 X4s that I picked up cheaply. Based on what I had read, I was expecting it to be decent. But I wasn't expecting it to actually blow away current flagship routers in throughput and range--But that's exactly what it did!
I would not have even looked at such an old model, if I didn't see Tim recommending it here recently (still after all these years).

Yes, the interface is dated. And it's showing it's age with lots of software-based quirks. I can see it not being everyone's "cup of tea" because of that. Asus router software makes Netgear's look amateurish. But for my needs, and for what I paid (~$100), it's totally a keeper. I'm glad I spent some time here reading...it saved me from blowing $300-$400 on some "flagship" router that wouldn't have really netted me any better performance!
With a Powerful extender and a good 2nd router I'm able to achieve 520 mbps in 2nd room which is like 15 m away and that too concrete walls.

My setup is:

Hall : Netgear X4s R7800 (Main router)

1st Room: Dlink DAP 1860 extender and hard wired Dlink 882 to DAP.

Since using DAP for connecting to the Main router and also using it for extender halved the speed to 280 mbps.

Adding a capable router, I've achieved the max speed across my house which is 520 mbps that too on wifi.

Regarding 160 mhz, I hardly see any benefit enabling vht 160 on my router, as the speeds fluctuate a lot and since I don't have any clients that support it no point using it.

I'll have to try again, once I get my hands on the intel's chip supporting 160 mhz operation.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Can you be more specific?

I think he’s referring to the R7800’s chipset, even the new AX Qualcomm chipsets drop to half their streams in HT160 mode.

R7800 in HT160 becomes a 2x2 device
RAX120 in HT160 becomes a 4x4 device

Broadcom seems to do it differently where their chipsets maintain the same number of streams in HT160 as HT80.

RAX120 in HT160 becomes a 4x4 device
To me, I never think of the Qualcomm chipset having 8 5 GHz streams. I think of it as a four-stream device, with a second set of 4 5 GHz TX/Rx chains that come into play for 160 MHz mode, which is implemented at 80+80.

@thiggins I agree with the 80+80 part, but I wonder if 8 antennas in HT80 mode even adds any extra antenna diversity for the mostly 2x2 clients on the market. I don’t think it does 8x8:4 stream in HT80 mode akin to something similar like the WRT3200 series. I was under the impression all 8 5Ghz streams are active.

Last edited: