What's new

Will adding external antennas increase range w/ Older Belkin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Livin

I have an old Belkin F7D4302 v1 w/ Tomato installed. I bought a Netgear R6300 and found it to be only slightly better with range and did not need see any features it had that I needed over Tomato.

SO...

I'm thinking maybe I should return the $150 router and buy a $15 external antenna kit for my Belkin.

Inside my single level home all is perfect, I'm trying to extend across the street to the park which is unusable with the Belkin but works so-so with the Netgear.

Question: will I get much farther range outside the house to the park & if yes, what strength DB should I use?

btw, there are no physical obstructions outside at all - totally open air. I really need to get about a 20-30 foot larger diameter to cover the park are I want.

thanks for the help!

The R6300's I used and help setup were pretty bad with range - even with the latest firmware.

Is this kit made exclusively for your specific router? If you're thinking of simply soldering on 'better' antenna - I think you may regret your decision.

The better option is to consider the R7000 and/or the RT-AC68U instead.

--SNIPPED--
Question: will I get much farther range outside the house to the park & if yes, what strength DB should I use?

btw, there are no physical obstructions outside at all - totally open air. I really need to get about a 20-30 foot larger diameter to cover the park are I want.

thanks for the help!

Probably, yes, if you get a decent quad 7dBi antenna kit and you are actually able to handle the solder job properly.

The coax used for the internal wiring is really small. Stripping it properly and soldering it down is quite a task especially if you don't have a properly sized soldering iron.

If you've sufficient experience with soldering (able to desolder & solder 0402 or 0805 by hand), then you can look into a mod kit. Otherwise, just get something with sizeable external antennas to begin with (Asus RT-AC66 or RT-N66).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!