Will forcing the wifi mode to N only on 2.4ghz reduce it's range?

Matthew Patrick

Hey guys. So yeah , usually on long range etc the modulation scheme throttles to low data rates and sometimes I can see it's dropping from N to G or even B. So say I changed the wifi mode to only N. What will happen on those long range? Can I even connect or it will still connect on those low rates but in N mode?

leerees

New Around Here
Force the rates at the client end. I had an issue like this years ago with a client that was very far from the router.. I forced a lower data rate and it dramatically improved stability. I let the router pick the procol and it settled on N. With the auto data rates the protocol kept falling back to B and loosing the connection completely.

Matthew Patrick

Hmm I see. Does changing it to say N only enough? And do anyone knows the nvram values for N only for 2.4ghz? Since I'm using SmartConnect I can't change the wireless mode but it should be changeable like I used to change the SmartConnect channel and it's usually fine. Thanks

leerees

New Around Here
You can change the wireless mode at the client end. In my case it was a windows machine, i got to the settings by changing the wireless adaptor properties in the control panel device manager.

One thing I did notice is that for extremely long range G was more stable than N.

Last edited:

Matthew Patrick

You can change the wireless mode at the client end. In my case it was a windows machine, i got to the settings by changing the wireless adaptor properties in the control panel device manager.
Ahh nah. My phone can't do it. Haha. Anyways. Thanks for the info :D

pirx73

Regular Contributor
N is preferable, only very ancient WiFi devices support B/G only, so if you force N-only on router end, all N-capable devices will be okay. Theoretically.

Matthew Patrick

N is preferable, only very ancient WiFi devices support B/G only, so if you force N-only on router end, all N-capable devices will be okay. Theoretically.
Yeh I know that. What I was asking is the N devices on the longest range. Like on the place where the wifi is dropped down to G or B. Like does it still connect with low rates but N or just won't connect..

pirx73

Regular Contributor
Unless you explicitly disable lowest speed rates in your router, N will be able to connect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!