What's new

Will forcing the wifi mode to N only on 2.4ghz reduce it's range?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew Patrick

Hey guys. So yeah , usually on long range etc the modulation scheme throttles to low data rates and sometimes I can see it's dropping from N to G or even B. So say I changed the wifi mode to only N. What will happen on those long range? Can I even connect or it will still connect on those low rates but in N mode?

Force the rates at the client end. I had an issue like this years ago with a client that was very far from the router.. I forced a lower data rate and it dramatically improved stability. I let the router pick the procol and it settled on N. With the auto data rates the protocol kept falling back to B and loosing the connection completely.

Hmm I see. Does changing it to say N only enough? And do anyone knows the nvram values for N only for 2.4ghz? Since I'm using SmartConnect I can't change the wireless mode but it should be changeable like I used to change the SmartConnect channel and it's usually fine. Thanks

You can change the wireless mode at the client end. In my case it was a windows machine, i got to the settings by changing the wireless adaptor properties in the control panel device manager.

One thing I did notice is that for extremely long range G was more stable than N.

Last edited:
You can change the wireless mode at the client end. In my case it was a windows machine, i got to the settings by changing the wireless adaptor properties in the control panel device manager.
Ahh nah. My phone can't do it. Haha. Anyways. Thanks for the info :D

N is preferable, only very ancient WiFi devices support B/G only, so if you force N-only on router end, all N-capable devices will be okay. Theoretically.

N is preferable, only very ancient WiFi devices support B/G only, so if you force N-only on router end, all N-capable devices will be okay. Theoretically.

Yeh I know that. What I was asking is the N devices on the longest range. Like on the place where the wifi is dropped down to G or B. Like does it still connect with low rates but N or just won't connect..

Unless you explicitly disable lowest speed rates in your router, N will be able to connect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!