What's new

Will the RT-AC51U get open vpn 2.5

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rbabb

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-AC51U which I purchased for the vpn client.
I use nordvpn who are using openvpn 2.5
What are the options to upgrade the router openvpn client to 2.5 assuming asus will not be upgrading the firmware as I beleive the device is EOL?
Or do I just buy a new router?
Thanks Rich.

You can't upgrade the OpenVPN version in the firmware. Even if you were to compile your own firmware with an updated OpenVPN, the code managing OpenVPN instances is closed source and cannot be updated.

2.4 will work fine with a 2.5 server, there is no real need to update the client version.

You can't upgrade the OpenVPN version in the firmware. Even if you were to compile your own firmware with an updated OpenVPN, the code managing OpenVPN instances is closed source and cannot be updated.

2.4 will work fine with a 2.5 server, there is no real need to update the client version.

Thanks RMerlin for the reply, I thought that would be the case with the firmware.

The Nordvpn support team said I would need to upgrade to 2.5. My current config is failing to connect. I will go and do some more digging.

Will openvpn 2.3.2 work with 2.5?

Will openvpn 2.3.2 work with 2.5?
It depends on how they configure it. Protocol-wise, 2.5.x is backward compatible with 2.4.x and 2.3.x. However if your provider decide to force the use of AES-256-GCM for example, then that will require at least version 2.4.0.

It depends on whether they use 2.5.0-only features or not.

It depends on how they configure it. Protocol-wise, 2.5.x is backward compatible with 2.4.x and 2.3.x. However if your provider decide to force the use of AES-256-GCM for example, then that will require at least version 2.4.0.

It depends on whether they use 2.5.0-only features or not.
It looks like that's the default cipher in the ovpn client cfg. I am now looking for a new router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!