What's new

Will this AiMesh setup work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ByteSlinger

New Around Here
I currently have an ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 router connected directly to my modem. It performs great and reaches most of my house for WiFi.
However I'm setting up a new office room at the other end of my house which in which I'll also be using for VR.

The VR requires me to have a 5ghz router connected directly to my computer via ethernet, and also needs to be in the same room as me and therefore the computer.

My plan is to run an ethernet cable from my existing router into the office room, and straight into either another ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 router or an ASUS RT-AX58U WIFI 6 AX3000 router. Then, connect that router directly to my computer via an ethernet cable, like this:

rout.jpg

Now I have three questions on the viability of this.

Firstly, will this work? I know that you can connect an AiMesh node via ethernet to other nodes, but can you still connect nodes to other devices by ethernet or do they just become wifi nodes?

Secondly, when connecting to the VR with this setup, what rout would the data take? With the headset connected to the router in the study and that router connected straight to my computer logic would dictate that it would all communicate directly, but as this node would be set up just as a node, would everything still be bounced down from the primary router?

Finally, would there be any notable impact on general internet performance as a result of being accessed via the node router rather than directly from the primary one?

Thanks all

I currently have an ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 router connected directly to my modem. It performs great and reaches most of my house for WiFi.
However I'm setting up a new office room at the other end of my house which in which I'll also be using for VR.

The VR requires me to have a 5ghz router connected directly to my computer via ethernet, and also needs to be in the same room as me and therefore the computer.

My plan is to run an ethernet cable from my existing router into the office room, and straight into either another ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 router or an ASUS RT-AX58U WIFI 6 AX3000 router. Then, connect that router directly to my computer via an ethernet cable, like this:

View attachment 25437

Now I have three questions on the viability of this.

Firstly, will this work? I know that you can connect an AiMesh node via ethernet to other nodes, but can you still connect nodes to other devices by ethernet or do they just become wifi nodes?

Secondly, when connecting to the VR with this setup, what rout would the data take? With the headset connected to the router in the study and that router connected straight to my computer logic would dictate that it would all communicate directly, but as this node would be set up just as a node, would everything still be bounced down from the primary router?

Finally, would there be any notable impact on general internet performance as a result of being accessed via the node router rather than directly from the primary one?

Thanks all

Yes, AiMesh can work... the remote node can connect wired and wireless clients... AiMesh extends both the LAN and the WLANs. AiMesh 1.0 does not extend guest WLANs to remote nodes, but AiMesh 2.0 in beta does.

However, the traffic will all route through the router/root node. It seems different that the VR peripheral does not connect directly to the PC. The remote node should be plenty fast though with a 1 Gbps wired link.

The Internet service will likely be adequate but maybe latency will be a concern if VR traffic is to/from the Internet... you'll need to try it.

Option B would be to wire the modem to the highest spec router/root node in your office, and then add the remote node as wireless. Then you can put all key equipment on a UPS and admin everything from your office.

Option C would be to run two wires and wire both nodes... might as well while you are at it.

Option D is to run two wires but omit the remote node at the modem if a good/better router will cover the entire house. Maybe the current router will serve WiFi coverage better from the office for now until WiFi 6e devices arrive and mature a bit. So, run the wires and try it before you buy the second router. For comparison, an AC86U bumps WiFi coverage about 20% over an AC68U... an AC66U B1 is similar to an AC68 but I have not compared their WiFi coverage.

OE

Last edited:
Yes, AiMesh can work... the remote node can connect wired and wireless clients... AiMesh extends both the LAN and the WLANs. AiMesh 1.0 does not extend guest WLANs to remote nodes, but AiMesh 2.0 in beta does.

However, the traffic will all route through the router/root node. It seems different that the VR peripheral does not connect directly to the PC. The remote node should be plenty fast though with a 1 Gbps wired link.

The Internet service will likely be adequate but maybe latency will be a concern if VR traffic is to/from the Internet... you'll need to try it.

Option B would be to wire the modem to the highest spec router/root node in your office, and then add the remote node as wireless. Then you can put all key equipment on a UPS and admin everything from your office.

Option C would be to run two wires and wire both nodes... might as well while you are at it.

Option D is to run two wires but omit the remote node at the modem if a good/better router will cover the entire house. Maybe the current router will serve WiFi coverage better from the office for now until WiFi 6e devices arrive and mature a bit. So, run the wires and try it before you buy the second router. For comparison, an AC86U bumps WiFi coverage about 20% over an AC68U... an AC66U B1 is similar to an AC68 but I have not compared their WiFi coverage.

OE

Fantastic reply, thank you so much for taking the time to write that out. A lot to thin about.
I hadn't considered the possibility of setting up the new router in the office as the primary router then having the one sat by the modem as the node.
Thanks again!