1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Will VPN work when connected to a USB 4G modem?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by sican, Nov 19, 2019.

1. sican

sican New Around Here

I have a question that I am hoping someone here can answer.
    I have a Asus RT-88U router with asuswrt-merlin installed. I am interested in knowing if the VPN feature would still be working if connected to a USB 4G modem, and not a wired broadband? Basically switching from a normal broadband to a 4G USB modem would that cause the VPN to not be functioning?

I hope my question makes sense.

2. krgck

krgck Occasional Visitor

Can't see any reason why it would not work. But i can't recommend usb stick as primary connection.

Save a lot of hassle and buy dedicated 4g router and set it in bridge mode. If you are switching from dsl/vdsl to 4g/lte

3. sican

sican New Around Here

Nice, thanks for the advice. The reason I want to switch is faster connection, cheaper and I was hoping to get rid a router. So it might not be as good an idea.

4. Adamm

Adamm Part of the Furniture

The VPN Client feature will work, but the VPN Server feature most likely won’t as you will be using CG-NAT to obtain an IP address in most cases.

netware5 likes this.
  5. sican

sican New Around Here

Thanks, it is the client that I am interested in. I realize I wasn't being very precise.

6. netware5

netware5 Senior Member

Recently I discovered that client also may not work if the configuration is UDP. I don't know why, but my mobile operator does not allow UDP OpenVPN connections, while TCP are allowed.

I discovered this accidentally - I've changed my home router and re-defined the OpenVPN servers running on the home router. Then I wanted to test them while at home and did it by switching my laptop internet connection from router to 4G from mobile operator. TCP connection was successfull while UDP - not. I am using non-standard ports for both, so the problem is not just filtering the 1194. I really don't know why mobile operators may not like UDP ....