What's new

Win 10 Home Proxy detection issues with RT-N56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chugbug

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,

I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue I'm having with my WIFI in Windows 10 Home. I'll apologize at the beginning for the post being so long, but I thought it was necessary to get everything included in order to get the right kind of assistance.

I'm using an Asus RT-N56U router (since July 2012) and an HP Envy Laptop running Windows 10 Home. I also have a server PC (running Windows XP) with most of my data files that I'm accessing via the wifi. Several of the Server drives are listed under "This PC" as Network Locations for quick access to the files.

The PC (and wifi) had been working fine for years (it was purchased new in August 2015) until a few months ago after several Windows updates were installed. Ever since that time I've been having wifi connection issues-- with either the server drives, or the router itself (with no wifi connection at all). I didn't have any issues whatsoever before that time. But ever since then whenever I try to either open File Explorer, or a connected network drive in File Explorer, File Explorer will hang, and then eventually the Wifi goes down. Sometimes it will reconnect eventually on it own, other times I'll have to reboot to get it back. But when I do, the wifi connects fine at startup EVERY time. It's just happens when I open File Explorer.

When I run the Network troubleshooter, I get the message: "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings". I can get it working again by rebooting the Router, or sometimes just by rebooting the PC. Afterwards, sometimes it will be OK for the entire session, but then other times it will continue doing the same thing over and over again.

I should also add that back when it started, Windows also updated my Wifi drivers. When it updated those, at first my wifi didn't work at all. I had to go in and ROLLBACK the drivers to the old ones in order to get the wifi back again. After the rollback, the Wifi started connecting OK again, but then had the issue with File Explorer hanging up, then getting the PROXY issue message after running the troubleshooter.

Firmware updates... Since Windows wanted to push the blame on my router, I tried to update the firmware. I was running on version 3.0.0.4.378.6065 (released 5-29-15), and reluctantly decided to update in hopes that would resolve the issue. But, just as I suspected, that didn't help at all. My thinking is that if WINDOWS created the problem, resetting or updating the router wasn't going to fix it-- but I tried anyway! And now seeing that nothing I've done with my router has made any difference, that just reaffirms to me that it won't get resolved until something in Windows is changed.

Since it's been going on so long, I've done extensive research on the subject-- most of what I found was old, but finally was able to confirmed those suspicions that it was indeed due to a Windows update from an article I found on ComputerWorld.com (published in December 2016). That article as well as a post I found at BleepingComputer.com, stated that installing a Windows update (KB206632) should resolve the issue. But after looking up the update, I found it was a CUMULATIVE update, so was afraid to try installing it. And to make matters worse, I can't even check my Windows updates to see if it was previously installed because after another recent update (I don't have CREATOR update yet) all my Windows Update History was deleted (by Windows) during the updates.

I also found on the same BleepingComputer.com post that running a home-made batch file that resets the jpconfig settings would resolve the issue. But I created the file and ran it a few times but it never worked. So I'm assuming resetting the ipconfig doesn't have any effect on the (Windows so called) "Proxy settings" issue. And also since the post and the ComputerWorld article were written months before I started having the issue, I wasn't sure if it actually was the same problem (although everything mentioned seems to be the same issue I'm having).

What I find odd, is that in some instances when I have an occurrence with the wifi dropping, File Explorer will actually open a networked folder through NETWORK (example: Network\Dell-PC\John\...), but then can't open that same folder via the shortcut for that networked drive under THIS PC (example: THIS PC\John\...) with JOHN being the name of the networked drive. I've tried DELETING all the shortcuts for those networked drives (under THIS PC), then after rebooting I'll add them back in again (via "Add a network location), thinking Windows was having an issue connecting to those networked drives. But it will only last during the current session-- after rebooting the issue comes right back again. So again, it seems it's an issue with something in WINDOWS that isn't allowing the connection to be maintained to those networked drives.

So now I'm here to ask if a) installing that Windows update (KB206632) would help or hurt; and if not, then b) whether anyone might have any other ideas that might be helpful.

For full disclosure, I've posted messages elsewhere about this issue when it first happened (but not with all of the most recently acquired information), but all I got was the standard recommendations to run the various Windows Troubleshooters (which only tell me WHAT Windows THINKS is wrong, but never fixes anything or offing a suggestion on how to fix it). Soooo, I'm still looking for the RIGHT answer.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cordially...Chugbug (JEB)

FYI... I'd just like to add a personal comment here. This issue has been a headache for the past THREE MONTHS now and I'm tired of dealing with it. I had a perfectly working computer before those updates broke something. In my opinion, I think now that Microsoft is arbitrarily PUSHING updates to our computers where we have no choice of accepting or denying them (INCLUDING our HARDWARE DRIVERS!), they should take more responsibility for resolving these types of issues DIRECTLY with their "customers" when they occur. And if it doesn't get resolved for someone "in mass", then they should held responsible to address it individually if necessary. To my knowledge, there is no way of informing Microsoft that you are having an issue, let along getting help to fix it. If they are so technically advance as to know what your system needs, then they should also be able to see what is BROKEN as well AND FIX IT (especially since 99% of they time THEY are the ones doing the Breaking!).

I don't have an answer to your problem :(. But you can ignore the message about proxy settings, that's normal. Proxy servers are typically used on business/office/corporate networks but not home networks, which is why it can't find any settings for it.

I feel your pain regarding Microsoft's stance to updating customers' computers. There was another post on these forums saying that a recent Windows update was causing problems with Wi-Fi cards.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!